• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bob's REREREDO 265 Tank!

Well it has been awhile and I have been in active in the forum.

Work, Family, and Life Happen and the time FLIES..

I am in the process of redoing my complete system do to alot (Marine Velvet).

Since I got infected with marine velvet I have completely torn down my system. Redone plumbing (still redoing plumbing). Got a new skimmer, got me some new lights, which I think I wanna get more new LED's to boot. Even got a new controller. SO MUCH NEWDance

Let me start with neglect about a year ago I started to loss coral. Right around the time I built my DIY Leds. And life got busy with work and everything. So I slowly got annoyed with the tank ad the loss and having a hard time growing corals and slowly started to lighten up on maintenance. All my softies were doing ok until I got Marine Velvet and lost about 10 fish in about 2-3 days.

So I started ripping my system apart to get the fish out and things just went down hill. Lost all my softies. Ended up bleaching my rock getting all new sand and starting fresh.

In some ways it was good, got to redo plumbing and etc.

I even got a coralife29 biocube nano in my kitchen. Because I had a anemone and had to put him some where. Got a couple new fish but I guess it was to soon cause either the anemone or a snail brought the velvet to the 29 gallon and I lost all the fish in that tank, other then a indestructible watchman gody.. The pistol shrimp he hangs out with is even from the velvet tank!!!...

SO my 265 has been cycling for about 3 weeks now. Getting close to start from scratch and hopefully HAVE GREAT RESULTS!!! After losing hundreds of dollars worth of fish and misc I think I deserve it!!!

I will keep posting pics and updating what I am doing.

I am sure I will be asking for help too!

Real quick I will give a equipment run down.

265 Gallon DT
75 Gallon Acrylic sump I made and just redid with the filter sock compartment, bulk heads, and misc(will post pics). The more I look at it I want to do more.
APEX controller which I think I will need some help programming somethings.
3 Kessil 360 LED's on a kessil controller, I wanna ge more Kessil lights. But I am up in the air on what to do with them. Not sure if I wanna get 3 more 360 or 6 160 collectable's LED's
(brandie new) a Reef Octopus 300EXT Skimmer (Still trying to figure out the best way to plumb this) gonna be selling my INT5000 soon.
Gonna do biopellets, starting in the next day or so
Probably Carbon and GFO
2 Tunze 6105
1 Jebao RW20
1 Jebao dct 12000
I will be doing 2 part dosing

I think that is about it for now.

2015-03-12 20.39.40.jpg2015-03-12 20.39.23.jpg2015-03-12 20.39.14.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Glad to see you stuck it out and put a silver lining on velvet. Looking forward to the "new" build.

Since I got infected with marine velvet I have completely torn down my system
I was worried you caught it from your fish. Sorry for the cheap joke. As Mike said looks like you turned a horrible thing into a positive. Everything looks great so far.

I was worried you caught it from your fish. Sorry for the cheap joke. As Mike said looks like you turned a horrible thing into a positive. Everything looks great so far.

LOL I think in some was I did... Craziest parasite EVER! I really almost put a bullet thru the tank!

I also have a 265 in the wall. It's a a nice size tank. I have the same skimmer as well.
Yes i did plumb it. But i am not sure it is staying like it is. I redid the sump and i am trying to minimize air and splashing. I created a siphon on my 1 inch return which runs into the skimmer (figured dirty water is better). But the only way i can get it not to bubble like crazy is to create a siphon thru the skimmer by plugging the drain vent hole. Then i close the gate valve. It skimms like crazy and i have no live stock. Just not sure it is right... still has a ton of water going thru it. And there are no bubbles in the sump and it is silent and seems to work great. So i may leave it. If you look at the picture that is why the turkey baster plastic is on top of the vent hole.. lol

Just a little update.

I started putting some fish back in that were in qt. Still have a couple that are in qt.
uploadfromtaptalk1427592364119.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427592409622.jpguploadfromtaptalk1427592456325.jpg

Also took some more pics of the fish room. It is small so hard to take good pics. Also you would think with a phonet that has 16 meg pixels would take a better pic but guys not..

c5b449113a224cba0bde4aea0be5de58.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427592715406.jpgthe sump i remade.

uploadfromtaptalk1427592767426.jpg Biopellet, drain lines, skimmer overflow box.

uploadfromtaptalk1427592846270.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1427592876611.jpg
Regal ext300 working really good and i just starting stocking today..

My 3 kessil 360 wides.

I would love everyone opinions do you think. Think either 3 more 360. Side my side. Orrr 6 160's 2 on each side of the 360's reduce shadowing and could have a diffetrent color spectrum on the 160's.

uploadfromtaptalk1427593211337.jpg