• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brand New Beginner

I am just getting into reefing. I have planned out my 50 gallon the way I want but would really like to start out in a 90 gallon system. I have spent the last 3 months doing endless research and I am now ready to put theories to practice. I would really like any help with system components if possible and would appreciate any and all help. Thank you for your time.

What are you looknig for in the tank? Mixed reef( many diferent types of corals) softies(things like frogspawn, hammer, leathers, zoas, and other LPS), or do you want to go full SPS(the stick like corals)
are you actually going through with the 90 or doing a 50? that will changed most of the advice given to you for equipment, and fish pretty drastically.
I'm a fellow 90 guy and there are a few on here with much more experience than me.
Here's a link to an updated spreadsheet of some of our members' tanks and the equipment and types of inhabitants they have. click the "tank setup" tab on the bottom and look at the other 90 gallons for basic ideas of what you're looking for.

I am going to be going to go softies and most likely starting up in the 50 as it is within my budget. That is unless a 90 becomes available at a low cost (checking craigslist daily..lol)..That said my primary plan is to start up the 50 and stay within the beginner corals and fish until I feel my experience is at the level to move up. Thank you for the help and the link.

What do you have for a sump and refugium? Quarantine tank? What are you considering for substrate? Deep or shallow sand bed or bare bottom? Rock?
Do you have/considered a decent RO/DI unit, and a good skimmer? A decent refractometer and calibration fluid? The list goes on. Here is an article that covers a number of considerations:
http://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterBeginners.htm

I am going with a refugium from a 30 gallon aquarium DIY, shallow sand bed in display, and a RO/DI unit from BRS. I am currently looking at a protein skimmer from Reef Octopus and I am currently curing my rock so I have some time yet.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to the club. There are tons of very knowledgeable reefers here so ask away.

I want to take another opportunity to thank everyone for their help. I want to also thank downbeach for sharing the link to fishlore as this has given me a big help in my research in this process of starting my display, still a work in progress. I have decided to use a deep sandbed in my main tank and also I am going to model my refugium after Mike Paletta's utilizing miracle mud. I hope to have more updates soon and maybe some visual progress as well. Anyway thanks to you all so very much. Scott

I'll raise my hand and just say if you plan on sps tank - a deep sand bed will inherently conflict with the idea of high flow in the tank.

Marc L has some great ideas if you want to check his site out in texas:
http://melevsreef.com/

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Scott, I too am new and what a godsend it was when I stumbled unto this group. Wish I had before I started. I have a 55 gallon tank and my only problem with it is, the depth. I would have like more depth to do a better rock work. If you can go larger then do just for that. I am thinking that within a year, I will probably upgrade. Join the group, pretty cheap, if you ask me but don't tell them I said so. (Lol) great people who are willing to help out at any opportunity. I went to my first meeting in March, jeez, it was awesome. Will miss the one today due to daughter's softball tourney, but I do not plan on missing more because you get so much support and for a newbie (us) it is critical. Good luck and welcome again.

Thank you for the welcome and I agree totally with you. My 50 is a high tank so depth is not a problem and I fully intend to join soon and attend meetings as much as possible. I have done a lot, and I mean a LOT, of research on all the aspects of my start up and it is a journey of joy. Thanks Hawkeye for the advice and I am probably going to change from a dsb to a ssb. I am going to be sticking with beginner corals, fish and inverts until the time comes that I feel I am ready to move up to a larger display and my experience is ready..lol...I thank you all sooooo much for the help and advice.

I do have another question and that is I live in North Brunswick and I am looking for a good store or dealer in my area. Can you make any suggestions?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Aquatic Obsessions in Avenel.....US1 North to Rte 35 North

1150 St Georges Ave Avenel, NJ 07001
(732) 634-8448

Ocean Gallery II in North Plainfield

980 US Highway 22 North Plainfield, NJ 07060
(908) 226-1100

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I forgot Feng Reef in Dunellen....if you're going to Ocean Gallery, Feng's is relatively close:

Feng Reef
702 Bound Brook Rd
Dunellen, New Jersery