• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brando457 - 14g Biocube - New to Hobby

JRWOHLER said:
If that is your overflow behind the PH then I would put the PH on the other side.

Take your time with corals, you have some already and until you get experience it is better to take it slow. Eventually things like zoas and palys will be nice. Would personally stick with what you have fish wise...but if you really want to add one more fish I would say a goby or other low dwelling type fish.

The PH is on the right side and yeah that is the overflow where the protein skimmer is, which flows over and then down across filter media then to return pump in chamber 1. You think put the PH right under the outlet where the return pump flows?

That is what I did on mine...had them on the same side and created a lot of circular surface motion ... also it facilitates the surface skimmer skimming instead of pushing the film away from the overflow. Just IMHO.

JRWOHLER said:
That is what I did on mine...had them on the same side and created a lot of circular surface motion ... also it facilitates the surface skimmer skimming instead of pushing the film away from the overflow. Just IMHO.

I did this and you are right, not only does it look better, but it functions better.

I was at Ocean Gallery II on Saturday for their sale and to check out their store, it is an amazing setup and I picked up a rock full of zoos and 3 frags. Pictures coming as soon as plug my camera in:).

So I changed where the powerhead and heater were and redid some rock work.

Added a few new frags from Ocean Gallery and a whole rock of zoos.

Can someone ID the green coral on the right I forget the name of it?

Also I have 2 hermits right now 1 red leg and 1 blue leg. I think my blue leg is killing my snails since I don't have too many to speak of at the moment and am finding empty shells.

Should I remove the blue leg hermit and leave the red leg and buy more snails or buy more snails and bite the loss as part of the hobby?

Any other advice or comments are appreciated.

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Lately I have been feeding a small amount one time a day.

I have flakes for the fish or brine shrimp and then I also have "Microvore microdiet" which I alternate aswell and spot feed to the corals via a dropper.

I can't believe how much my mushroom has grown and the acans are doing very well. My hammer seems to be upset today it isn't open as big as it normally is.

It is really starting to look like by spring I'll be moving to a bigger tank.

Another question I have is my cousin has a 45 gallon tank, but it is a tall tank rather than wide. If I did decide to do that would I be ok if I placed the rock right against the glass and built up from there? If not I'll probably end up trying to trade that for a 40 gallon breeder or larger.

stick with 45 if it is free. Unless you get a great deal on a reef ready setup. Otherwise keep the 45 and make a beautiful mountain reef. Tall tanks look best if you ask me. Just my 2 cents!

DxSOR25 said:
stick with 45 if it is free. Unless you get a great deal on a reef ready setup. Otherwise keep the 45 and make a beautiful mountain reef. Tall tanks look best if you ask me. Just my 2 cents!

thanks Derek for the input now stop being sick so you get out of quarantine amd we can setup your 72.

I think it sort of depends what you like. And second what you want to keep.

You want corals on the bottom of a short flat tank no problem any T5 will work...you want corals on the bottom of a 30 inch high 12 inch cube.... I think the only choice would be MH or maybe LED.

You want active swimmers like a tang you want length.(and a much bigger then 40 G tank ;)) But longer for them is better.

Take your time and don't jump into the next tank till you really know what you want. You may find that the next tank is a 220. ;D

FYI I went from 24G to 120G and couldn't be happier.

JRWOHLER said:
FYI I went from 24G to 120G and couldn't be happier.

Funny you said that after seeing 9supra's 180 I was like hmm 75 gallon, 120, 180 heh. I think I might do a 75-90 one of those. 75 I'm leaning towards, but not sure.

What I really want is to have a decent amount of height (20-24), length 48, width at least 18 I like having the depth.

Any recommendations on where to find a tank like this? I've been browsing forums, craigslist etc. and can't seem to find one ;/

Update on the tank since I havn't added new pictures lately.

Right now I have 2 acan frags, a rock of zoas, torch, purple hammer, blue mushroom rock, 2 candy canes, and a blue stag. All seem to be doing really well and the colors are bright and they seem to be growing at a decent rate.

I moved my blue mushroom to the sandbed where I originally had it and it is growing huge. I had the small rock it was on in front of a cave in the LR and now it is like wheres the cave.

I really have the itch to go bigger though and want to before the end of January :X

That is basically a 90G my 120 is 24x24x48. I got my tank at AO, he usually has some nice sales. But at the same time a lot of folks are selling tanks so maybe you will be in luck.

Picture of my torch which has been in there for a few weeks now, probably closer to a month.

This is at night when it is about half closed. Thing is HUGE
photo.jpg

So I started transitioning my corals and fish to my new 135, I may keep the biocube and do a single maroon clown or two true percs or give it to my neighbor I'm not quite sure I want to have 2 tanks to worry about :0)

Brando457 said:
So I started transitioning my corals and fish to my new 135, I may keep the biocube and do a single maroon clown or two true percs or give it to my neighbor I'm not quite sure I want to have 2 tanks to worry about :0)
Hey Brando! 135 gal eh? Nice upgrade! i would keep the nano as a qt tank. small tanks are eay to remove unwanted hitchikers and sick fish. the 135 is gonna be a different story. set up the nano so you can put all new additions in it to observe and make sure they are healthy and stay that way. it sucks to have to rip a tank apart to get zoa eating nudis and whatever else finds its way home.
does your new tank have a sump? fuge?

It was a sump at te moment I'm working on planning a fuge to build or buy.

The cube would make a nice qt except I want to have a hippo, naso, or powder blue. If they were to come down with ich I'd prefer to treat them in a 30 long or similar tank with a simple hob filter.

Yeah that tank might be a bit small for QTing those. Just make sure you QT your fish. Bunch of explanations on how to do it. Unless you buy from Dr Jim then you are good to go. That tank will be good going forward for smaller fish though. Good to know you are planning ahead. :)

Is that to say if I buy from Dr. Jim I wouldn't need to quarantine my tang?

If that is the case I'm all for it lol, spending a month and half and setting up another tank idk if my mom will like another tank in the house :)

He QTs all his fish before hand so they are disease free. Has more limited stock but a lot of people swear by him.