• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brandon's you were right 75g upgrade

So I will admit that I may have a slight problem and am addicted to this hobby. And you guys were right I couldn't keep a nano for long.

I recently sold off my 180g tank to cover some costs and because i wasn't happy with how some things were setup with it.

I downgraded to a 34g rsm, which is awesome, but adding only a few frags quickly filled it up!

So now with only having it setup 2-3 months, I got the urge to upgrade. I was planning on upgrading in the summer, but with audi0s (john) sadly breaking down his tank, it will be happening sooner than expected.

His tank was exactly what I was looking for as far as setup since it has 2 glass hole overflows which IMO are so much sleeker than your standard big box overflows that take up a giant portion of real estate in a tank.

Well I'm slowly accumulating things and will be starting a new job middle of November. End of November they ship me out to Clevland, Ohio for 2 weeks of training.

My plan/ultimate goal is to have all the tank and equipment ready to go for when I get back.

Most likely I will put all the rock I'm getting in a bin and let it cycle while I'm away and leave my 34g up in the meantime.

If I can have the tank cycled and setup by the new year that'd be awesome.

Anyway this will be my progression thread.

Thanks

So first question: is anyone familiar with I think it's herbie or bean overflows?

Basically since there are 2 overflow boxes rated at 1400gph each and I'll only be pushing around 900 gph total I was thinking of making 1 overflow a full siphon and then the other an emergency backup drain.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could help me or give me advice?

My understanding is I'd basically need a 90 elbow pointing up in the emergency drain and a 90 down in the full siphon. Then you adjust a gate valve or ball valve on the full siphon to get it to that level.

I'm not really sure about the adjustment aspect considering do you adjust it so the pipe is always full or ???

Or would I be better off running 2 x eheim 1262 for a total of 1800 gph, which the overflows can handle.

And any advice to keep this thing as quiet as possible is appreciated. It will be in my bedroom and I am very sensitive to sounds.

Have:

Tank - 75g w/ 2 1400gph glass hole overflows
Stand
Sump - 30g with fuge
Pump - eheim 1162
Light - ecotech radion xr60
Skimmer - super reef octopus 1000 SSS
Ato - jbj
Mp10
40 LB LR
- 500w finnex heater w/ temp controller built in
- test kits, two part, ro/di

Need:
- 2nd ecotech led
- 2nd mp10 or mp40? Not sure which
- livesand (link to one that won't blow around please)
- 50 lbs more rock
- either avast or nextreef reactors
- pump to feed reactors or will a single eheim be enough for the tank + power 2 reactors?
- maybe an apex jr in the future to monitor temp, ph, and let me turn off equipment remotely

What am I missing?

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I believe what you have are two 700 overflows, so a total of 1400 max GPH. Herbie overflow styles do not apply with glass-hole kits and both drains will be active at all times. If you want, you can run 700 to the system, and if for some reason one return is blocked the other will be able to handle all of the flow. I'm not sure how you can clog a 1.5" drain, if a snail gets in there they will get an express ride to the sump. I have the lid on my 700 and there is no way for an animal large enough to clog the drain able to get in there. They say 700 but I hear the can handel more, I personally have not tested this.

If they are 700 each even then what's the best way to plumb it for quietness :)?

Thanks!! And that's a good idea about running both full and if one ever did get blocked the other could compensate it

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The 700 box has one 1.5" drain, the 1500 box has two 1.5" drains. If you have 2 drains then you have 2 700s if you have 4 drains you have 2 1500s.

One thing I learned on my 40B with the 700 is keep the plumbing straight as possible or use flex PVC.

Skimmer is super reef octopus xp1000 SSS

And then I think you're right 700gph, would you mine taking a picture of your plumbing :)?

James is that multiple tank syndrome?:) and I may need to come steal some of those pink zoas again, my mom misses them and my cousin killed them :x

Hah!! This will be it for awhile, with the amount invested in lights alone!

Legit if I say anything about upgrading larger someone smack me

Brandon sorry if I mislead you on the GPH, I couldve sworn Rod said it was a glass holes overflow kit built for 1400 each max. I run a mag 18 with no problems, although I guess at 5 ft of head pressure is about 1200 gph. Its 2 2" drains into a 3in y pipe.

For posterity, the tank how it is now before the madman gets it. Excuse the quick Iphone shot

photo1.jpg