• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brando's 28g JBJ Nano Cube LED PRO

Hey everyone,

So having a 180g in wall w/ 75g sump & 40 breeder fuge wasn't enough I decided to buy a nano for my bedroom :).

I used rock from my fuge to scape the nano and added some instant ocean bio spira to add some bacteria as well. So far the only 2 fish are Sea & Reef Snow Onyx Clownfish.

The plan is to either to do zoas/lps or just a rbta. I have always wanted a rbta, but they seem like they're super difficult to keep. If anyone has had success keeping them in the JBJ please let me know! or any tips are appreciated.

Equipment:
1. 28g JBJ Nano Cube Led Pro Version
2. 2 x Maxijet 1200 return pumps
3. Intank media basket (only filter floss at this time)
4. Apex Lite w/ EB8 & Temp Probe
5. Cobalt Neo-Therm 100 watt heater

I am going to try to keep coral/the anemone and depending on the color may look to supplement the blues with a 9 led kit from rapidled.

Anyway enough talk here are some pictures

Tank & Stand
gsp1d5R.jpg

Scape
pZfpVRB.jpg

Scape 2
0ohL4l5.jpg

Blue Led Only
kJ1qWNm.jpg

Any tips on keeping a successful nano are appreciated!

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Looks good. I have always wanted a bta and clownfish tank. Think it would be awesome. I had a RBTA for about 6 months in the past. Seemed happy and healthy and one day decided to move overnight and was chewed up in a powerhead.

Big thing is the heat. My son and I did 24G Aquapod and I swapped the PC lighting for LED. That helps. But during the summer his room was warmer than most of the others and the tank was about 5 degrees warmer than than my tank and the fresh water tank. Investing in one of those nano chillers would probably make a ton of sense. I have not had problems keeping my RBTA in the main tank but temp swings worry me about the nano. Tank looks great. Add some extra carbon and phosphate remover to the basket.

Big thing is the heat. My son and I did 24G Aquapod and I swapped the PC lighting for LED. That helps. But during the summer his room was warmer than most of the others and the tank was about 5 degrees warmer than than my tank and the fresh water tank. Investing in one of those nano chillers would probably make a ton of sense. I have not had problems keeping my RBTA in the main tank but temp swings worry me about the nano. Tank looks great. Add some extra carbon and phosphate remover to the basket.

The tank without my air conditioner on reaches 80/82 degrees, with my air conditioner on it holds at 78 pretty steady. I keep my AC on when I'm home at 68, but with the fall coming will probably remove it and just leave the window open. THankfully I am in the basement so it is not too bad.

I plan on getting chemipure and purigen to run in the basket.

Any tips to stop the pump vibrations? I tried sticking some tubing alongside it, but the vibration noises are a PITA!

I stopped by NJ Corals Direct on Saturday to pickup some corraline scrapings, they went above and beyond and ended up giving me 2 pieces of rock covered in corraline!

While there I also picked up some corals, I wasn't planning on getting some so soon, but with the prices and how nice they were I couldn't say no.

Here are some pictures, sorry for the quality my phone camera sucks.

mP86Em1.jpg

kfKl6qb.jpg

8Bg4keT.jpg

lV1zwDP.jpg

tol5NUw.jpg

VPVmcvu.jpg

He is a vendor on MR, it is out of a home garage but a really nice setup. He is located in North Bergen, told him maybe become a vendor here.

Just replaced the stock pump with a Hydor Pico cut the noise to 1/4 what is was. I have Tunze powerhead which is silent(ebay score). A MJ900 is usually the replacement pump of choice almost same flow and lower watts than MJ1200 FYI. But the little Hydor Pico is impressive for such a tiny pump. http://premiumaquatics.com/products/hydor-pico-evolution-1200-mini-pump-8w-300-gph.html I have had one for years on my skimmer(recirc type) A+ in my book.

I was debating on selling my nano and getting out of the hobby completely, but decided to keep it for the time being. Part of my annoyance with the nano is the hum of the maxijets. I ordered 2 of the Hydor Pico pumps.

JR how did you install the pumps? I'm having trouble with the tubing bending / making it difficult to place them in the rear. I ordered some stiff vinyl tubing from amazon, but the ID isn't the right size.

I was debating on selling my nano and getting out of the hobby completely, but decided to keep it for the time being. Part of my annoyance with the nano is the hum of the maxijets. I ordered 2 of the Hydor Pico pumps.

JR how did you install the pumps? I'm having trouble with the tubing bending / making it difficult to place them in the rear. I ordered some stiff vinyl tubing from amazon, but the ID isn't the right size.
For my son's tank the Pico is just suspended from the tube it fit but was smaller than the last pump. I added a Tunze 6025 which is silent too. Think it is a standard size tubing though or at least mine was which made life easy.

For my son's tank the Pico is just suspended from the tube it fit but was smaller than the last pump. I added a Tunze 6025 which is silent too. Think it is a standard size tubing though or at least mine was which made life easy.

Did you do anything to reinforce the stand? mine wobbles and hobbles like it drank my whiskey

Did you do anything to reinforce the stand? mine wobbles and hobbles like it drank my whiskey
Haha...ironically I sold my 24 G Aquapod stand to someone who needed a stand for a 14G ...cuz I hated it too. I put the tank on wide stand for a 40G tank, has shelves etc for my sons room made sense. Specifically needed overkill in an 8YO room with the things boys do at that age.

Last edited:
Haha...ironically I sold my 24 G Aquapod stand to someone who needed a stand for a 14G ...cuz I hated it too. I put the tank on wide stand for a 40G tank, has shelves etc for my sons room made sense. Specifically needed overkill in an 8YO room with the things boys do at that age.

Where did you get the 40g stand from :)?

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariums-stands/top-fin-rta-aquarium-stand-zid36-20570/cat-36-catid-300013?_t=pfm%3Dcategory Is the one I got, good for his room. I was a bit worried but I figured it was built for an extra 16G so would be sturdy enough. That said water on it is a bugger. I put a pad down under it to save the inevitable spills down the front of the tank. If I was skilled I would have overbuilt a similar stand .... but that would require skills.

I'm not skilled, but for the $ it seems like a good deal. I could always add L brackets to it to secure it more.

HockeyNut can build me a stand, but it is double the price of the one you linked. I might stop by petsmart and see if they have one already built I can toss around.

Any wobbles or anything with your tank on the stand?