• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

brightwell neo-zeo method

i have been reading into this for a couple days now. I really like all the things they claim it can accomplish! anyone here using it, or any zeo method. good/bad? opinions please! would like to hear if its really worth it!
Also, i dont think it really said if it was necessary, but i do understand that these are parts of the method, but do these all have to be used along with the main three??

potassion
phosphat
iodion
coral amino
vitamarin-c
replenish

THANKS ALL!

heres they're pdf on it...
http://www.f3images.com/IMD/PDF/NeoZeo_Method.pdf

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
HERE is the last thread on the subject. There may be another. I'll check again tomorrow.

Sorry I can't be of any help to you. I don't run those types of systems.

it is still work in progress - I have done my first rock exchange. Right now working primarly with 4 products and within next 2 weeks I will introduce another 2. it is balancing act, but the results are good enough that one of my friends may convert to running zeo too :)

I started with new tank so there is no "before or after" comparison to show, but I am happy with it.

jerzsky said:
hey rafal! thanks!! at least somebody answered! hows the results? good growth? coloring? overall health??

The more I look at it the more I start to think its a clever way to get hobbyists to buy 5+ very expensive consumable products. Like the pharmaceutical companies wanting to make medicines that relieve but never cure to keep you on it for life.

Yeah I looked into it further, its real expensive. Come on they " recommend " you to also use their carbon and salt. Besides their 10 products you need to run a zeo system, you have to buy their carbon and salt? The salt is like a 100$ for 150 gal shipped, and I thought tropic pro was a lot! I just think it's too much money and too complicated for the price.
I def believe in the whole idea of a low nutrient system don't get me wrong. And I seen the tanks on their site very impressive. But, I've seen tanks that weren't using this method that are very impressive also. Maybe I'll try the vodka dosing. That also adds color to your corals, makes your water crystal clear, and lowers some of the bad levels in your tank. All for around 20$ for the big bottle if you get the cheap stuff ;D

Please provide docs and links where they state that you need to use there carbon, salt and the rest of there products to reach ULN. There salt is not even made for a ULN system with the high alk that it has.
To reach ULN you need three prdoducts. MB7, RBF and the Zeo media. People also have been reaching ULN with just the MB7 and RBF. It just takes longer.

I'm computer illerate so I don't know how to provide that sorry. I got the link from the top right corner of the njreefers pages. Seen it come up so I clicked it. On their site if you look at all the products they have to run their method like they do on their own show tanks it's a lot more than 3. They actually post a list of the stuff they use. I think people take the main 3 things because they're the most vital.

AS for the salt they say to use reefers best salt . Like I said they also have the carbon on there too.

Don't get me wrong I agree and think the whole low nutrient thing is a good way to go.

Here, I can cut and paste ;D

General Guide for the ZEOvit System
English
Page 28 of 29 Version 1.03
Reefer’sBest Salt
The success of of keeping SPS corals greatly depends on the quality of the salt with the
proper balance of elements. Our experience has shown that not every salt offered
meets these criteria. The Reefer’s Best Salt is produced with utmost care, using only
the highest quality chemicals following the German and European pharmacy dispensary
standards
. The salt dissolves completely within 10 minutes at a temperature of about
15-25 degrees Celsius if it is mixed with a strong pump. The balanced levels of the salt
make it possible to reduce water changes to 5% every two weeks.
11. Regular weekly water changes
To get a balanced addition of elements contained in the salt mixes, we recommend a
weekly water change with the quantity depending on the amount of corals. Lightly or
normal stocked tanks should get a 5 – 6% weekly water change with a good salt mix.
For heavy stocked tanks, we recommend a weekly change of 10%, unless you use our
“Reefer’s Best” saltmix (5% every two weeks even in heavily stocked tanks is enough).
Please make sure not to raise or lower the salinity of the tank. The reason for this water
change is not to export nutrients but to provide a balanced addition of elements
necessary for the corals.
Depending on the age of the tank and the accumulation of nutrients and elements, it
may take 3-12 months for this system to show success. Our longest conversion took 11
months in a tank that had been established for 15 years. This change was done slowly
and carefully without any loss of corals. Subsequently, success will occur fast and can
be maintained if the above-mentioned points are followed.

General Guide for the ZEOvit System
English
Page 13 of 29 Version 1.03
5. Constant filtration with activated carbon
We recommend the continuous use of our high quality activated carbon for filtration. The
effect of activated carbon can vary greatly, therefore we recommend against the use of any
other brand. Use 0.5 to 1 liter of activated carbon passively in a mesh bag per 250 gallons
of tank water. Completely replace the activated carbon every 30 days. This will keep your
tank water crystal clear allowing for unrestricted and true light penetration. Our carbon
adsorbs several proteins (similar to a skimmer) as well as toxins released by corals. In
order to maintain the efficiency of the carbon, we recommend kneading the mesh bag every
couple of days. This will keep channels from forming. We recommend using activated
carbon in a filter with forced flow. Tests have shown that the appropriate amount of carbon
can also be placed in the filter on top of the zeolites. We would like to point out that during
tests of various brands of activated carbon, some had negative effects on coral coloration.
The water will become more clear with this active carbon use, allowing increased light
transmission to our reef, therefore, precautionary steps may need to be taken to avoid
too much light-stress to our corals, such as raising our main lighting pendants,
shortening the photoperiod, or both. If you employ high powered lighting, we
recommend to slowly increasing the amount used in 2 steps. The increased water
clarity can lead to coral tissue damage. In case of strong active application, we
recommend to use 50% of the carbon used passively.

I would suggest you read this from the beginning to the end. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467662. That is real world experience. These products have been out WAY WAY WAY before their salt came out. And on the carbon, that is a recommendation. If you read the label of any carbon product, they all suggest to use their high quality activated carbon for filtration.

ric are you talking about brightwell salt and carbon? I was talkin about the Zeo carbon and salt.

Don't get me wrong I like brightwell products and use several myself. I'm just saying this method is very hands on, it's not a set it and forget type of thing. It's a very precise and strict routine you have to follow. And your right about only using the 3 products. But, thats just the start up. Once the system gets stable your regimen will look like this.... (I think this was on the first page of your link)....

Here is my 40 gallon rimless running complete Neo-Zeo.
1. Zeo-stones/ MRC Reactor with maxi-jet 1200 as feed.
2. 5 drops of bacter weekly
3. 2-3 drops of Bio-Fuel daily
4. 5 drops of Potassion every 3 days
5. 3 drops of Ferrion every 3 days
6. 3 drops of BW aminos with daily feeding
7. 3 drops of Vit C every 3 days
8. 1 capful of Replinish every week
9. 3 drops of Restor, after wc's
10. 5 drops of Koral Color every week
11. 2 drops of Reef Snow every night
12. 2 drops of Zoo Planktos every night
13. 5 drops of Strontium every week
14. 3 drops of Lugols every week

OK, sorry. I was talking about Brightwells since the subject of this thread is Brightwells method. I know nothing about Zeovit and needing to use a specific salt or carbon. I do know that you do not need to use Brightwells salt nor carbon to use there method. Allot of people from Zeovit have been moving over to Brightwells cause it is so expensive. When I had my 90 up, I was only using MB7, Zeo media, Biofuel, Potassion and amino. My corals were colorful and growing. I didn't use any of that other stuff that you are using but I have read about it. Looking at your dosing schedule, it looks like the products will last you for a long time. Oh well, what works for one might not work for another.

Ric I wasn't so clear on my first post. All the stuff I was saying was about the zeovit products. If you go that route they have a lot of products you can use. My point was that they even tell you that you should use they're salt and carbon. Which I think is ridiculous. Then it can get really expensive! Sorry for the confusion.

I'm going to start the brightwell neo-zeo method myself soon. Seems a little less complex and way cheaper. That guys dosing schedule I posted is crazy, not to mention zeovit tells you to adjust your dosing depending on the colors of your blueish corals for one product, then adjust it according to the yellow on corals for another product. Just seems like I'd have to quit my job and make monitoring my tank my full time job.

Jerzky sorry for the kink I put in your thread.

So does anyone have before and after pics of their tank Since starting this?

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
zeovit and brightwell systems areo and i use the group by the same concept, just like all the bac driven systems. The reason for use is to keep the po4 low, they all do the same thing. The additives are to refine the colors when your system in nutrient poor. Both need a bac and a cabon source weather you call it fuel or start its the same thing. The less you add to your water the better off you will be there is no magic potion. hope this clears the water,,,o and i use the group buy carbon works fine.

stan

From what I understand with these systems is you use chems that strips everything out then you buy a bunch of chems to put it back in minus the bad stuff. I don't want to harp on it but, its a perfect system pretty much.

For the company that makes the products! LOL :p