• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brine shrimp hatchery

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
While at Dave's he showed me a nice shrimp hatchery with no bubbler. Went order it and was $30; sorry but that is way to expensive to hatch shrimp in my opinion. So went to the dollar store and picked up to food storage containers and 3 blue plastic cups. Had some leftover black spray paint and made this. Let me know what you think. Cost with paint was under $10 and I can make one more if I want.

Attachments

• IMG_20211106_163212.jpg
    IMG_20211106_163212.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211106_163115.jpg
    IMG_20211106_163115.jpg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211106_163435.jpg
    IMG_20211106_163435.jpg
    968 KB · Views: 9
Man just put it in the tank and let as know how it works.
Back in DR I saw more simple ones work in rivers. Just a box with holes and food inside. Yours should work

eholceker

NJRC Member
Back in DR I saw more simple ones work in rivers. Just a box with holes and food inside. Yours should work
Your fish can get sick if they eat

Real bad idea. The shells from the brine shrimp can make a fish real sick if they eat it.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Your fish can get sick if they eat

Real bad idea. The shells from the brine shrimp can make a fish real sick if they eat it.
Agree.
I will fill with SW just below the top of blue cylinder. Put eggs in outer most circle. When they hatch shells float and shrimp will swim through holes to the light. The muddle us not cover and will be only source if light. Can use pipette to get them.
I hope it works this way.

Salted

NJRC Member
I already have everything here to make that. I’m going to give it a try as I’d like to get my mandarin to start accepting other foods.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I think my mistake was making the hole on top that big. I am going to use the other lid and make a smaller hole. I don't see shrimp yet but my office is cold so will see. I may have to move to a warmer spot without telling the wife. so everyone be very very quiet......hahaha

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So I made another hatchery. The blue cylinder goes to the top lid as it seems to much light getting in. Made four small holes for the shrimp and smaller opening on top lid.
All drying now and will post pick tomorrow.