• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

bristle worms

I just picked up a nice anemone on a rock. I placed it in my tank and noticed the rock was loaded with bristle worms. I am new to this. How will these critters affect my tank? And if they are a pest how can I get rid of them?

most people will tell you that they're fine. and i really do beleive they are correct. but i personally don't like them, for no other reason than i don't like to look at them, so i manually remove them whenever i see one, also sixline wrasses, coral banded shrimp, and aero crabs all supposedly eat them.

I have a decent size six line wrasse in the tank so maybe he can keep busy eating these guys. I just wanted to make sure that I did not "open a can of worms" by placing these things in my tank that will kill other stuff.

larger sized worms can be nuisance. But typically they get large because the hobbyist is overfeeding. Consider them the tanks unofficial clean up crew. If you see too many -it's a sign of overfeeding/too many nutrients.

In general they are helpful but the larger ones I distrust. Also no natural predator is ever bullet-proof. For example, wrasses are by nature daylight hunters. Whereas bristle worms by nature are active at night.

Since you know they are concentrated on that piece of LR - you could partially dip that LR in RO water to force the worms out. But like adesimone1 said - they are free cleanup crew.