• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brown Algae

I've had my Sundial running now for about 2 weeks, I'm now getting brown algae on all sides of the glass, how should I go about removing it?

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ryan

The brown film on the glass are diatoms. They are a normal part of the tank cycle and will disappear after a little while, nothing to worry about.

Bob

Unless you dealing with Diatoms in a mature system as I am. In this scenario, they can be a bear of a problem! I lightly feed every other day and have been shutting down the lights for two/three days. The result here is that good temparory progress, but it has been creeping back and blanketing the rocks.

My next steps are two illuminate my sump to increase nutrient export and to start a kalk drip to help this as well.

I saw a product by Weiss that accelerates that alters the oxygen process and supposedly rids the tank of nuisance algae. If the chaeto growth does not, I am thinking about trying it.

Not too much fun shutting off the lights for long periods. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Just spent months going through a major diatom bloom. Diatoms require silica to flourish. So if you have diatoms, you have a continuous source of silica. Check your top off water. Especially if you use well water. Even with RO/DI, it will penetrate the membrane as well as deplete the DI cart rather quickly. Your water can still read 0 TDS and have silicates. You need to test.

After I found my sources of silica and corrected them, I used SERA Silicate Clear in a TLF reactor to remove what was left in the tank.