• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brown hair algae - club-tested-approved strategy ?

Do we have a club-tested-approved strategy to rid of HA ?

I have brown hair algae, about 1" long, very thin strands, like cotton.
Hard to pull with thweezers, does not easily separate when siphoning.

Running GFO (could be expired?), have cheato insump, have 3 turbos( other died) which are also covered in HA.
Tried sea hares (2 died in 3-4 days), tried sea urchin (same result as with hares). Have 1 lawnmower blenny, he eats it somethiemes, but it's too much for him.

Any other suggestions ?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
You sure it is not dino? Does it have small bubbles at the top?

No bubbles, just patches of very thin hair, that sways in the current, strongly attached to rocks, clams, snails, and even gets on sps, which kills them (probably of no light?).

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Try hydrogen peroxide, 1 ml per 10 gallon. It will loosen its foot hold and with aggressive water changes HA will die.

Dose h2O2 daily, it helps.

Good luck!

Sunny

main thing is not to panic and start dosing everything you can get ahold of.
I had this for about a year. keep up with your water changes and change out your gfo REGULARLY . I dosed phosphat-e to bring the phosphate down quickly (DO NOT OVERDOSE THIS PRODUCT) This product is strong it does a great job but will also strip all phosphate and effect corals if overdosed. I actually dosed 50% of recomndation on bottle. Then i changed my my gfo from my duel reactor once a month until it went away.took awhile

I'm currently fighting GHA after I turned off GFO in favor of biopellets, I think physical removal along with removing the source (via gfo, water changes, less food) is the way... I'm trying the Alga Mower Vac, which is a tiny DC pump with a drill bit sticking out of it. Rips out the algae then sucks it up (and out a siphon tube)

It works pretty well for 1", but it gets jammed up on some of the 3-4" stuff I've got. Slow and steady though. It can reach places that I can't.

Pics would be good. If it's dinos, that's a totally different removal story. I recently fought dinos as well.