• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brown Jelly Disease?

erics210

NJRC Member
I had an anemone sting some mushrooms. They browned up and mushed away in a day or so. Another one the next day I tried dipping in iodine and revive mixes with no luck. Same thing on the other side of my tank when one of my new corals got too close to a mushroom.

It reminded me of brown jelly disease so I tossed the rock completely.

Is there a way to remove the bacteria or protozoan, or whatever causes it from the tank water column? Or does it just lie in wait for a stressed out coral?

Just wondering.

Would running a UV sterilizer help?

I think a uv sterilizer will work out best. And if the rocks that had been affected can be removed without damaging much. Cleaning it with a small amount of bleach in water then letting sit in the sun for at least 2 days. The hotter and dryer the rocks get the better they will clean. And befor u put them back in the tank just rinse them thoughly brush them down with a toothbrush and lol watch ur aim when tossing stones.