• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Browning SPS

I picked up some 12 frags(SPS) at the swap. All 12 are in a frag rack relatively close to the surface under 2 250 14K Halides. All are doing great except 1(of 4 from Pacific East). Its a purple tip acro and I am observing some browning starting to occur with very little extension. All are in a high flow area.

Any ideas???? Should I try less flow and light even though the others are fully extended and doing well.
Thanks Mates

Calc is 450
Alk is 9
Mag is around 1300

Everything else in the tank is fine along with some 18 other sps frags.

???????

1st Bring your mag up to 1350-1400, other than that it could be a few things like stress, to much light, not enough light, or it could be something as simple as adjusting to your tank. The time line is around 2 weeks for acros to adjust to a differant system. Also I'm not sure on this but I think Dr Mac's acros are all maricultured corals which can be finicky adjusting to a new tank environment.

Might be your PO4 or maybe its still acclimating in your tank. Sometimes that happens to me when I get corals from the reefers. It tend to change color for a bit but in no time it came back... give it some time brown is still ok .. White color is alarming :D

If it was more than 1 frag then it could be po4 but since it's just the one it's more likely needs to adjust to your tank. ;)

I firmly believe your frag simply needs more time to adjust to its new environment. Not all SPS frags will "act", "react" the same when you put them in a new environment. Some may lose color, others may brown out.

Best example is when I switched over from the 75 to the 180. I made so sure the parameters were the same, even used just about all of the water from the 75, and still, after some time, some of my corals began to change color. Some for the better, some for the worst. Even though my lighting was the same, it really wasn't. There's a difference between 54Watts T5s and 80Watts T5s.

Give the frag some time, trigger. It went from a frag tank onto your frag display. It needs to adjust. Perhaps you can ask Pacific East where exactly they had it in their tank, under what flow and light.

Just a suggestion, and just my opinion. :)

Updat:
Well its been two days since my post. Looks like my new Pacific East sps colony is succumbing to rapid tissue necrosis(RTN). It has begun shedding its skin and that which remains has become pure white. There is a small (one inch) portion thats not yet affected so I may just frag it and see what happens. Oh well. All the other 18 sps pieces I have are doing fine.

Sps olony then that explains why thats the only one STN'ing. The one you picked up might be a wild colony which I always think its hard to keep alive. Frag it and make sure you make 2 frags of it....

Hi Steve,

It was more of a large frag than a large colony pulled directly from the sea so I may have mislead you. Nonetheless, I did try to frag it but this morning the 3 frags were all shedded and white as well.So thats that. All the other SPS , including two from you at the swap, are thriving.

Your observation about wild colonies is a good one. I have tons of Zoas(some from you) and they all do great. Yet, recently , I have aquired some larger pretty exotic looking "wild " colonies of zoas that were quite expensive and have not fared all that well. I have tried saving some via fragging and that has been only modestly successful.Thety just seem to digress over time. The lesson, albeit an expensive one, stay away from wild colonies.