• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BRS 4 stage RODI unit

When should I change out my filters? I bought the replacement kit months ago thinking I would need it but everything is still fine. Still no TDS readings at all. Tank parameters r in check. Should I change em anyways?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I usually get about 3 month's out of the sediment filter, 6 month's out of the carbon block, and a year out of the DI resin, the membrane is no w 3 years old. But there are a couple of variables here, i.e., the quality of your raw water, how much water you make, etc. How long have you had/ been using the unit?

This is true I've been using the unit for a little over a year I guess and never changed anything. I have a 26g trash can that i fill up maybe once every 2 weeks so i dont use it that often i guess. Any obvious signs of needing to be changed?

If you have a pressure gauge.... a pressure drop would be a sign that the sediment filter is going bad, I replace mine when i see a 15% drop in pressure. If you test for chlorine and the concentration is higher than .1 ppm than your carbon block is bad. I get over a year from both however I only use ten gallon a week. DI needs to be replaced when you see over 1 tds on the output.

I think it would be prudent to change the sediment and carbon block. Your DI resin is probably color changing, so that will give you some indication when it is time to refill. The membrane is the workhorse of the system, and replacing the prefilters(sediment, carbon block), will go along way to extending its useful life. There are a few members in Blackwood, and assuming you are using the same water supply, maybe they can give you an idea of their replacement schedule.

Pressure hasn't dropped, at least that I noticed. I don't test for chlorine so not sure on that note and TDS still says 0ppm

To add some further detail my tds is 150, I use about ten gallon a week, and my ro membrane is over 4 years old and still has a 97% rejection rate. I always use a .5 micron carbon and a .5 micron sediment. The lower the micron the better.

Pressure hasn't dropped, at least that I noticed. I don't test for chlorine so not sure on that note and TDS still says 0ppm

If you do decide to test for chlorine (test kits are very cheap at pool stores) you need to measure it after the carbon block, not after the RO/DI phase.

How would I test between chambers? Disconnect one and run it just to get a sample

How would I test between chambers? Disconnect one and run it just to get a sample

Exactly, they are john guest connections and they disconnect easily. Also, a sediment filter actually gets better as it gets dirty because now it catches smaller particles. The carbon block is the most important because it removes the chlorine and that it what damages the ro membrane, which is the most expensive part.

Last edited:
I run two sediments and then the carbon. I normally change the sediment ones when they turn brownish. Its about every 6 months or so, but I only use about 10 gal a week between WC and TO.

I run two sediments and then the carbon. I normally change the sediment ones when they turn brownish. Its about every 6 months or so, but I only use about 10 gal a week between WC and TO.

Yeah I use probably 15 gal or so. 10 for WC and maybe 5 throughoit the week for top off.

Good stuff to know. I just bought my first RO/DI (the BRS 4-stage PLUS) on this group buy. I got the color-changing DI resin, so that's pretty much a no-brainer on when to change, but was also curious on when to change the sediment and carbon blocks out. I only have a 34gl tank, so my WC is 4-6g per week and I use 1gl TO per week. Since I wouldn't have a high demand on the unit (and providing my water supply isn't laden with impurities) I'm guessing I wouldn't be changing out very often. Yeah, a 4-stage 75gpd unit seems like overkill, but it's nice to have the reassurance i have the capacity to make a sizeable batch of RO in the event of a unexpected incident (Sandy) for both me and my brother.

I make about 25 gal. per week, for top off and WC's on a 180. I replace my sediment about every 3 month's, my carbon block about every 6 month's, and my DI resin about once a year. My current unit is about 3 years old, and I have yet to replace the membrane. The quality of your raw water will have a major impact on how often you have to change the filters.