• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BRS has been hacked

Seems as BRS has been hacked and cc info stolen. There are posts on RC about it. Keep an eye on your cc activity if you have shopped with them these past few months.

Well I did notice a charge on my statement for $68 for a yellow can in Berkeley, ca yesterday. Not sure of its related but a new card is on the way.

I haven't gotten one yet but I've had one credit card and my debit card hit in the past few months. I've used both to make purchases at brs in the past few months. I originally attributed to the home depot hack but I wonder.

I got the letter and signed up for the one year ID protection. These bastards won't even leave fish people alone!

Last edited:
Just got mine yesterday, ive considered calling to get a new card. Checking my accounts every day just in case.

There response has been great. They could of taken the route of Target/HomeDepot and the many others and just say 'Hey it happens, you deal with it on your own'. Even at $50 a year the money they are spending on protecting their customers is great. Just become a very difficult world to control.

Got my letter yesterday as well. After reading it I know why my paypal acct was his last year as well. All is well no money lost. Passwords changed, and any card associated with BRS is being replaced as I type.

I got the letter also and now that I think about it about a month go my company credit card was used to buy airline tickets in some place in Brazil and they used Orbitz

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
The fact that they are saying that passwords might have been stolen is very scary. In today's world the passwords are all encrypted and there is no easy way to decipher them. Keeping passwords without encryption is a violation of the SSL certificate.

I got a letter, but has been a while (2012) since I ordered rom BRS and my card number has changed 3 times this year alone because of other incidents, so I am probably ok. I may take them up on the free monitoring thing, though. I did change my password a soon as I heard about the breach. Makes me glad that I use a password manager. I never reuse a password.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I got a letter, but has been a while (2012) since I ordered rom BRS and my card number has changed 3 times this year alone because of other incidents, so I am probably ok. I may take them up on the free monitoring thing, though. I did change my password a soon as I heard about the breach. Makes me glad that I use a password manager. I never reuse a password.

I'm with you as far as my card being replaced twice already this year from other indiscretions. I haven't gotten a letter yet, but if I do I would simply change my password and request a new card. I wouldn't bother with the monitoring.....just get the new card and move on.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I'm with you as far as my card being replaced twice already this year from other indiscretions. I haven't gotten a letter yet, but if I do I would simply change my password and request a new card. I wouldn't bother with the monitoring.....just get the new card and move on.

It is more serious than that. The email addresses and passwords were stolen. If you use the same combination of email address/username and password you need to change the password on ALL those sites. Think about it, they have your email and password and if you use the same combo for logging into your bank accounts?
You get the idea.

That's why I use Lastpass. No two of my passwords are the same and they are all gibberish. The only reasonable way to do this is with a password manager, hopefully one that is secure itself.