• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BRS reactor for bio pellets

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I set up a BRS reactor to try bio pellets. I'm using a "bio pellet" insert (thanks downbeach) and the reactor is fed by a MJ-1200. I know to expect the pellets to behave oddly until they are colonized but it seems that the reactor is spreading the flow oddly. If you can see this video I was wondering what people think about this tumbling performance. My GAC seems more evenly spread but this could be a function of the sponges that aren't in place in the pellet insert. Also GAC is at 100%. Pellets at about 40% but even at 100% it seems that the action is still on that side of the reactor. Just moves more rapidly. Any thoughts? Is this effective. Any suggestions of how I could rectify the problem.
Thanks
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/c9a8676b.mp4

I set up a BRS reactor to try bio pellets. I'm using a "bio pellet" insert (thanks downbeach) and the reactor is fed by a MJ-1200. I know to expect the pellets to behave oddly until they are colonized but it seems that the reactor is spreading the flow oddly. If you can see this video I was wondering what people think about this tumbling performance. My GAC seems more evenly spread but this could be a function of the sponges that aren't in place in the pellet insert. Also GAC is at 100%. Pellets at about 40% but even at 100% it seems that the action is still on that side of the reactor. Just moves more rapidly. Any thoughts? Is this effective. Any suggestions of how I could rectify the problem.
Thanks
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/c9a8676b.mp4

Check the slots in the base of the insert to see it they're open. The insert had never been used, so maybe the openings were not fully formed during manufacturing.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd suggest making sure that the holes are all open/clear as Jim suggested. Also, it could just be a matter of the reactor not being level (vertically). If it's hanging on an angle, the upward water pressure will take the path with least resistance, as opposed to spreading out evenly. Try taking the reactor off the mounting screws (leave it running) and tilt it while holding it in your hands to see if you can get the water to spread properly. If so, find a way to wedge it out or whatever you need to do to get it level when mounted. My TLF reactor did this a bit until I used the leveling screw to get it vertically straight.

The way those are designed to work is water enters the canister at the top, goes around the outside of the insert, then finds it's way in thru the cutouts to enter the bottom of the insert. This should give you even pressure thru all the cutouts, and basically shooting the water straight up into the insert that holds the pellets. It looks to me like either the water is rushing faster down one side because it's tilted (causing a more forceful uprush towards that one side) or maybe some pellets are clogging the screen part of the inserts bottom (blocking or restricting flow on part of it.) If that's the case, maybe shaking it up and down to loosen them from the bottom might fix it?

I don't think the way you have it running now is OK. That whole one side is pretty much standing still and will definitely begin to clump if it's not slowly moving.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Check the slots in the base of the insert to see it they're open. The insert had never been used, so maybe the openings were not fully formed during manufacturing.

Thanks - I'll double check that but a quick visual inspection as I was setting it up didn't show anything "out of whack" or that looked abnormal. Can I infer from your suggestion that yours did not "flow" that way?
not "flow" that way? I started with 3/4 of a cup - 1/2 of the recommendation as I understood it. Could it be that I misinterpreted and I've started with too much?

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I'd suggest making sure that the holes are all open/clear as Jim suggested. Also, it could just be a matter of the reactor not being level (vertically). If it's hanging on an angle, the upward water pressure will take the path with least resistance, as opposed to spreading out evenly. Try taking the reactor off the mounting screws (leave it running) and tilt it while holding it in your hands to see if you can get the water to spread properly. If so, find a way to wedge it out or whatever you need to do to get it level when mounted. My TLF reactor did this a bit until I used the leveling screw to get it vertically straight.

The way those are designed to work is water enters the canister at the top, goes around the outside of the insert, then finds it's way in thru the cutouts to enter the bottom of the insert. This should give you even pressure thru all the cutouts, and basically shooting the water straight up into the insert that holds the pellets. It looks to me like either the water is rushing faster down one side because it's tilted (causing a more forceful uprush towards that one side) or maybe some pellets are clogging the screen part of the inserts bottom (blocking or restricting flow on part of it.) If that's the case, maybe shaking it up and down to loosen them from the bottom might fix it?

I don't think the way you have it running now is OK. That whole one side is pretty much standing still and will definitely begin to clump if it's not slowly moving.

Thanks George - pretty sure it's not level - I noticed that it wasn't but didn't give it much thought - the way both are mounted and for ease of removal for maintenance I have the key-hole screws loose so it just hangs up there. without the screws holding it snug against the lumber it's going to sit on an angle - I guess I'll have to tighten them or find another place to mount them.

So, as long as I'm asking questions - I currently have both the MJ-12s and the outlet in the same sump chamber - my drain /skimmer chamber. I tried putting the MJs in the return so they were pulling form the same chamber but it seemed that my return was too low. any thoughts on feeding and returning to the same section?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's probably the issue then. Either tighten the screws or if needed, wedge something behind it to keep it level.

I'd have both the mj1200 and the reactor's outlet tube both in the same (skimmer) section if at all possible. If not, you'll be lowering the level of another section and pumping it into the skimmer section... causing an unbalanced sump level. If they're both in the same section, it will drop initially as the reactor fills up, but once it's running it will just recirculate and keep that section at a constant water level.

Also, the most important thing with BP reactors is to have the outlet as close to the skimmer intake as possible. If you can find a way to connect it directly to your skimmer pump intake (via a TEE or fastening it with plastic wire ties, etc.) that's what you want. The object is to get the skimmer to take out the snot created by the pellets (will take a while for this to start forming though.)

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
That's probably the issue then. Either tighten the screws or if needed, wedge something behind it to keep it level.

I'd have both the mj1200 and the reactor's outlet tube both in the same (skimmer) section if at all possible. If not, you'll be lowering the level of another section and pumping it into the skimmer section... causing an unbalanced sump level. If they're both in the same section, it will drop initially as the reactor fills up, but once it's running it will just recirculate and keep that section at a constant water level.

Also, the most important thing with BP reactors is to have the outlet as close to the skimmer intake as possible. If you can find a way to connect it directly to your skimmer pump intake (via a TEE or fastening it with plastic wire ties, etc.) that's what you want. The object is to get the skimmer to take out the snot created by the pellets (will take a while for this to start forming though.)

Ok, well that's what I have now (both MJ12 and outlet in the same section) - I thought it was better for a stable level but it also seemed like it was recirculating the same water - I guess it's the same water either way though - the return is just an extension of the skimmer section. I'll make sure I get it level tonight. I also have to change from the flex black vinyl 1/2" tube I used. It has a tendency to curl up and flood my stand - my zilla power-strip was a casualty. I was looking for an excuse to get rid of that since I've heard they are fire hazards. anyway I took it apart and cleaned it up so it's fine for an emergency but I will look for another RKII because mine is maxed out as is my DJ strip and I have a few things that are unplugged - fuge light, a salinity monitor, etc. nothing crucial but I'd like to add them back , but I digress, I'll level the reactor tonight

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sounds good, keep us posted. And, like I said, level it by hand first to see if that's really the issue. Hate to see you spend an hour getting it level and then still have the same problem. :eek:

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I've read in a couple places that you should avoid exposing the pellets/reactor to light. Have people done anything to cover/light block their reactors? I was thinking of a PVC sleeve but that may be kind of heave - other option is some black plastic from a good-ole 5mil thick "contractor" trash bag taped around the reactor. any thoughts?

I've read in a couple places that you should avoid exposing the pellets/reactor to light. Have people done anything to cover/light block their reactors? I was thinking of a PVC sleeve but that may be kind of heave - other option is some black plastic from a good-ole 5mil thick "contractor" trash bag taped around the reactor. any thoughts?

You could try some aluminum foil.

Thanks - I'll double check that but a quick visual inspection as I was setting it up didn't show anything "out of whack" or that looked abnormal. Can I infer from your suggestion that yours did not "flow" that way?
not "flow" that way? I started with 3/4 of a cup - 1/2 of the recommendation as I understood it. Could it be that I misinterpreted and I've started with too much?

After a couple of month's of use, a crust developed from the pellets when they were at rest, when I shut the pumps down for feeding, cleaning, etc. So, the "flow" diminished as the slots were covered over with this crust. A good cleaning with an old tooth brush solved the problem. Since that one is new, I thought that if the slots were never really opened during manufacturing that would have the same effect.
Half of what I gave you would be the right amount to start with. The total amount recommended for that reactor is only 1 1/2 cups, so the 3/4 cup is the recommended starting point.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
You could try some aluminum foil.

After a couple of month's of use, a crust developed from the pellets when they were at rest, when I shut the pumps down for feeding, cleaning, etc. So, the "flow" diminished as the slots were covered over with this crust. A good cleaning with an old tooth brush solved the problem. Since that one is new, I thought that if the slots were never really opened during manufacturing that would have the same effect.
Half of what I gave you would be the right amount to start with. The total amount recommended for that reactor is only 1 1/2 cups, so the 3/4 cup is the recommended starting point.

yep - I started witgh 3/4s of a cup - I like the tin foil idea

they're clumping together because the bacteria is colonizing, sometimes happens when u first start using pellets. open it up stir them around and make sure its level. you might want to slow the flow a little as well to a slow tumble.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tin foil would work fine. I have mine in a TLF reactor that hangs on the side of my sump. What I did to protect it from light is just got a 1' long piece of This background stuff and taped it to the outside of my sump, behind the reactor to block the light from shining through.

You could easily just get some of that and wrap it around the reactor and tape it tight. But again, tin foil should work too if you don't care what it looks like. :p

HH, although in most cases you would probably be right about the clumping, I believe that Dave just set this up in the last day or so... so I don't think the pellets would start clumping that fast. I could be wrong though.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
the video is after about 10-11 hours post set-up. I think the issue is likely the fact that the reactor isn't level. I guess if I level it (or check it first, thanks George) and the problem continues I will explore other areas. Just given the angle it's sitting at correlated with the side that is flowing is too much of a coincidence. In other words is I were to use a plumb-bob I think the line would mirror the flow in the reactor and would point to the inside of the reactor where it appears the flow is concentrated

As for the light issue and a cover – I hadn’t taken into account being able to easily observe what’s going on in the reactor – so I will need to leave a stripe uncovered for observation. Leads me to use something like the background that George suggested. Naturally I just free-cycled a bunch of the old fresh-water stuff that was in the garage, including a piece of the background stuff. Take one look in my garage and you could make an argument that I’m borderline, a hoarder (my wife would certainly make that argument, and does regularly) so finally getting rid of something that I later find a use for is about as psychologically damaging as something that trivial could possibly be. FANTASTIC.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Well I tried everything and no dice. Here's what I did:
1 I started with trying to level the reactor.
2 switched the pump with the 12 running my GAC
3 switched the reactor "top" on case there was a blockage on the inlet
4 took out the bio pellet reactor and tried the toothbrush trick and still nothing

Here's a video I took last night. I'm going to try to email BRS to see if they have a suggestion.
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee503/dzipin/06e7a754.mp4

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That looked to be a lot better than the first vid, but I think your flow is way too fast. Did you try slowing it down to where the pellets barely tumble?

There's definitely something causing the flow to be stronger on that one side. Just for kicks, can you unscrew the canister and rotate the insert 180 degrees inside it, then screw it back on to see if there's any change in flow direction? If no change, try again with just a 1/4 turn and see if that changes flow direction (strength to one side might still be there, but just a different side) If there is a change in where the flow is stronger, then the issue is the insert. If not, the issue is flow from the canister.

That should help narrow it down a bit anyway.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Yep, the flow was up to max to demonstrate or highlight the issue. I slowed it down later in the vid. I did rotate it. Actually it's hard to do that in a controlled manner b/c screwing the canister on makes it sort of a guess as to where it will "land". Anyway the spot "moved" relative to the lid so that supports the insert being the issue. Hopefully someone from BRS replies and has some guidance to offer.

I'm not sure it would make any difference, but I do have the other canister available, since I'm now using the Reef Octopus reactor.
The flow on mine wasn't perfectly "linear" either, but it wasn't quite as lopsided as yours. You might try a small piece of plastic canvas on that side of the canister to see if it would redistribute the flow a little better.