• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

BTA and SPS

I've been contemplating a flame or rainbow BTA and after seeing a gorgeous flame today I'm finding it harder to resist. My main concern is that I'd like my tank to be primarily sps and a wandering anemone might not mix well. I've spoken to one or two people that share the same hesitation.

Once they find a spot that they like do they tend to stay put if the conditions stay the same or are they prone to look for a change of scenery? My tank is still young with no real sps colonies and plenty of frags that are easy to move around. I'm thinking now would be the time to get one but I don't think that I want to do it if I'm going to be constantly on the lookout for a wandering anemone once the tank fills in. Does anyone have a bta in a sps dominant reef?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I put an RBTA in the tank in 2007/2008. It went into the tank in the left rear corner. It immediately moved completely across the tank to the right rear corner. Hasn't moved since.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Mine found a spot a year ago and didn't move until it split about a month ago. It burned a couple of SPS but nothing fatal. They both seemed to be settled again, hopefully for at least another year.

Thanks for the feedback. I think that I'm going to try one. Hopefully I won't be back here in a few months asking how to remove one. :)