• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble Algae is the devil!

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I am about 10 months in, and getting a bubble algae outbreak. I am hoping this is the last out break of maturing my tank. I beat cyano so now on to this new devil. I use to have an emerald crab, but think my pistol shrimp might have murdered him (body never found). I want to try again I would think it isn't that bad of a risk for a candy pistol shrimp and emerald crab to coexist? Also I have a fire shirmp.

I have a mini-max reactor and I am running rowaphos. It is time to for me to order more anybody use rowaphos or should I try another GFO? I think I probably should be changing it more than monthly right now.

If anybody has advice I am all ears. Physical removal is a pain because they definitely pop and I wonder if I am doing more harm then good with that.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Make a bubble algae vacuum.....it's simple. Use a piece of rigid tubing a little longer than the depth of your tank. Attach this to flexible tubing long enough to reach a bucket. Start a siphon and start sucking the algae out. If the rigid tubing is plastic, cut the tip at an angle to help in bursting the algae and then use the point to dislodge the remaining skin. Hope this helps. If you google, I'm sure you'll find video's on making and using.

EDIT TO ADD:

Found THIS video.

Last edited:

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, i used to use rowaphos for years. I stopped because at around $40 a pop, it became costly and personally I didn't see much of a difference in my tank (but that's me). Like Paul @redfishbluefish mentioned, manual removal is the more straight forward approach. I have I have never used that vacuum method before but it sounds like a great idea.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Make a bubble algae vacuum.....it's simple. Use a piece of rigid tubing a little longer than the depth of your tank. Attach this to flexible tubing long enough to reach a bucket. Start a siphon and start sucking the algae out. If the rigid tubing is plastic, cut the tip at an angle to help in bursting the algae and then use the point to dislodge the remaining skin. Hope this helps. If you google, I'm sure you'll find video's on making and using.

EDIT TO ADD:

Found THIS video.

Yes helps alot- I should have done that with the Cyano and didn't do it. Actually I think it is how I need to start cleaning my tank. Doing weekly 10 of 36 gallon water changes. Sand bed first bucket, and this second bucket.

Thanks for advice.

Last edited:

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Personally, i used to use rowaphos for years. I stopped because at around $40 a pop, it became costly and personally I didn't see much of a difference in my tank (but that's me). Like Paul @redfishbluefish mentioned, manual removal is the more straight forward approach. I have I have never used that vacuum method before but it sounds like a great idea.

Trio what did you go to? what reactor do you have?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Agree with Paul. I been using tubing to do water change in my tank for about 3 or so months now. It helps get junk off the sand bed without pulling up all the sand. It allows me to clean around my corals and get into tight areas in the tank. It also helps pull algae off the rocks and what not. I just vacuum into buckets and then dump the buckets down the drain.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have been trying to turkey baster my rocks a couple of times a week. I think with a rigid tube I could use a turkey baster to suck that stuff up too. I will try to find supplies for this week. I really appreciate the ideas.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Yes on the red sea. I haven't posted on the scrubber yet as I am going to do a time line and report my findings. I was previously using rowaphos on my 72bow before I broke it down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes on the red sea. I haven't posted on the scrubber yet as I am going to do a time line and report my findings. I was previously using rowaphos on my 72bow before I broke it down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

here's where i got it from Welcome to Santa Monica Filtration - www.Santa-Monica.cc but there are tons of DIY versions of the HOG (hang on glass) out there. also check you tube for videos

Awesome - I need to research

Agree with Paul. I been using tubing to do water change in my tank for about 3 or so months now. It helps get junk off the sand bed without pulling up all the sand. It allows me to clean around my corals and get into tight areas in the tank. It also helps pull algae off the rocks and what not. I just vacuum into buckets and then dump the buckets down the drain.

i do the same the best way imo to get the stuff you dont want it ur tank out..

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
try this @Russell Bennett i made one a while back and it did work......but don't expect it to happen right away....the unit i am currently using was installed back in September of this year and its just now coming along

horseplay

NJRC Member
I have battled bubble algae since I have my first reef tank. So I have some experience in this.

First of all you will not be able to control bubble algae thru nutrient control. If you pin you hope on any nutrient export method it will not work. Bubble algae will out-compete your corals for nutrients.

Some fish will eat it, for example foxface. However they do get lazy. Mine ate from the water column after I dislodge the bubbles from the rock. Also foxface gets pretty large.

Emeraled crabs are quite effective, if the bubbles is not out of control. It's my recommended method. I would use 5 to 10 of them for a 100g tank.

Manual removal of course whenever you see the bubbles. I do not worry about breaking the bubbles. Once you have bubble algae you will never be able to get rid of them completely. Mine grow in the overflow where the crabs cannot reach them. I have to clean my overflow completely every few months.

If you see bubbles everywhere it's much easier to acid bleach the rock. I was never able to control the algae once it reaches critical mess.

Things will improve over time when rocks are colonized by corals and coraline so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
]so it is possible in an all in one? somehow don't see the wife buying off on an exposed algae scrubber though :(

if she falls for it @Russell Bennett let us know how you did it. lol[/QUOTE]

lol Well the tank is in the living room so I might be on a win streak, and when I talk plans for massive tank it isn't a no it just it has to go in unfinished basement.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
try this @Russell Bennett i made one a while back and it did work......but don't expect it to happen right away....the unit i am currently using was installed back in September of this year and its just now coming along

thanks I definitely will I already have the JBJ nano glo light for the back compartment so looks like up flow is the way.