• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble Algae?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Returned from vacation. Thanks to Mark_C for checking the tank.

I did notice this and not sure if it's bubble algae or dinos, thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_090956.jpg
    IMG_20231104_090956.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20231104_090920.jpg
    IMG_20231104_090920.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 24
Definitely not bubble algae but it could be dinos or cyano. Does it tend to be less noticable at night time?

If it's cyano you can increase the flow in the area and oxygenation. Chemiclean works great too.

Dinos I've had great luck with 4 or 5 day black out and raising nutrients. Also uv sterilizer if it's oatreopsis (spelling may be off)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Definitely not bubble algae but it could be dinos or cyano. Does it tend to be less noticable at night time?

If it's cyano you can increase the flow in the area and oxygenation. Chemiclean works great too.

Dinos I've had great luck with 4 or 5 day black out and raising nutrients. Also uv sterilizer if it's oatreopsis (spelling may be off)
Not really. But will monitor it day and night.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
It looks the same day or night. I increased flow and aim directly at it and doesn't blow off.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
When watching the tank I dosed with both Dinos and Bubble Algae to see which would win.

I tried a similar experiment with the fish. Let me know if they develop Ich or Syphilis.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
When watching the tank I dosed with both Dinos and Bubble Algae to see which would win.

I tried a similar experiment with the fish. Let me know if they develop Ich or Syphilis.
Under the microscope they have Syphichilis.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I am pretty sure these are the dreaded dinos. There is no known cure. Keep blowing them off, reduce lighting, keep numbers in check etc... There is no quick cure.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That's the problem they are not coming off with power head pointed directly at them.

Edit- once that huge rabbit fish is out will try to remove some manually.