• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble Algae

Hello all, It's been a while since I posted any questions.

I have been noticing a accelerated growth of Bubble Algae. I know that the bubbles contain spores if you break them so i would like to eliminate it without causing more to spread.

Anyone with knowledge on this topic? Your help would be much appreciated.

Erik R.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If you can take the rock out and dig under it with a screwdriver.That would work best.
If you can't remove the rock then during a water change try to dig it out with the screwdrive and have the siphon hose suck it out as you chip it off.

Since the emerald crab generally don't carry screwdrivers, I would imagine they break the bubble as they eat them.
Ken

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I used a brush while I siphoned them out. I haven't had a problem since. All the emeralds did was eat each other!

Bob

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The emeralds will eat the bubble, but if you can get the bubble algae out of the tank and get rid of it there, that is your best option.

I think they have problems with bigger bubbles. I gently loosen them with my finger you don't need a screw driver guys....man up already little algae won't hurt you. ;D Try not to break them but it happens. I just work them loose and pull them out when I get one too big for the crabs.