• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble Coral Trouble

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My green bubble coral doesn't extend like it used to. I tested water parameters and only thing I found from the last test is my Magnesium dropped and Alk/Calc increased a bit. Not sure if that is the problem or that the Conch keeps moving it slightly. Any thoughts?

Dec Params:
Alk - 8.2
calc - 350
PH - 8
Mag - 1350

March Params:
Alk - 9
Calc - 375
PH - 8
Mag - 1130

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have a huge bubble coral and I noticed to that sometimes it deflates because something like a Frag or a snail fell on it. I also see sometime the tangs will hit it with its tail. The bubble deflated for a while and then returns.
They are also very sensitive to flow changes so if you moved or cleaned a pump it might now happy with the new flow patterns.

your calcium should be higher.

Last edited:

eholceker

NJRC Member
My green bubble coral doesn't extend like it used to. I tested water parameters and only thing I found from the last test is my Magnesium dropped and Alk/Calc increased a bit. Not sure if that is the problem or that the Conch keeps moving it slightly. Any thoughts?

Dec Params:
Alk - 8.2
calc - 350
PH - 8
Mag - 1350

March Params:
Alk - 9
Calc - 375
PH - 8
Mag - 1130
Nothing to do with parameters. Maybe add some fresh carbon and consider the Flow around the coral.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Other corals seem okay.
Guess I can run to LFS and pick up the API kits, all they sell.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Other corals seem okay.
Guess I can run to LFS and pick up the API kits, all they sell.
Api kits are kind of garbage. If it's just 1 coral that's off would I would not assume a major parameter off. Water change, fresh carbon, and adjustment of flow will probably do the trick.

Last edited:
From experience, bubble corals are like euphyllia as to where he they're really sensitive of swings. Specifically alkalinity

D

Deleted member 27248

Everytime I’ve lost corals it was because I bottomed out my phosphate. Which is why I leave mine .1-.25

D

Deleted member 27248

For now added carbon, Phosguard and Phosban until I get new test kits.
That doesn’t make any sense…you are assuming your phosphate is high, when it could be the opposite. Take that stuff out until you test it.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Its looking better.
My tank initially ran very high for Nitrate and a bit high for Phosphate. I always run a little Phosguard or Phosban just to keep it down.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Its looking better.
My tank initially ran very high for Nitrate and a bit high for Phosphate. I always run a little Phosguard or Phosban just to keep it down.

The phosphate remover is also like a polypad. Will bind some contaminates in the water column as well.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Test kits arrived; but find it hard to believe the results.

Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0

Been 5 minutes and no color change; read directions several times and no mistakes made.

D

Deleted member 27248

I’m not the type of person to tell someone I told you so…add nutrients!