• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubbles , Bubbles , and More Bubbles ( why ? )

I recently setup my tank and i thought it was normal to have bubbles when it was first started up. Well after 3 days the bubbles are the same.
I tried to see where the bubbles were coming from and i have no idea. I looked in the sump and where the overflow piping comes in there is a lot of bubbles but the divider to the return sides takes them all out . I have no idea what else to do . I turned off my skimmer and the bubbles are still there . I took some pics , tell me what you guys think.
thanks
Dabooth

DSCN4032.jpg

DSCN4034.jpg

DSCN4035.jpg

DSCN4037.jpg

and for some reason i have a layer of brown algae looking stuff all over the tank , powerhead , and thermometer probe. And its only fresh water right now straight from the sink , I have no idea what that is about

you can kinda see it in the pic
DSCN4038.jpg

If I had to guess by looking at this picture....

DSCN4034.jpg

You're probably drawing in air from those conections. They may not be airtight. You should look into different plumbing.

I hope that's it.

Usually when you have a lot of fine bubbles like this you are sucking air into your pump from some place. Often this is a leak on the intake side of the pump. It also can be sucking air if the water level in the sump gets too low. Amother possible source is from a skimmer, but I didn't see one in your pictures.

Once you get the small bubbles in the system, they often get recirculated by the filtration system. As a test, turn off the pump, let the bubbles get out of the water, and turn it back on. It you get more, you are taking in air some place.

Is that a Mag Drive?

can you run a Mag drive external like that? I didn't think so... ???

also when you say you get water straight from the sink - as in the RODI or as in from your faucet tap water? The brown stuff is likely to just be diatoms but it's only going to get worse if this is straight tap water.

I took the setup down today and drained all the water out . I closed off the barb and put the pump inside the tank ( to get rid of all them fittings ) im gonna try and put the skimmer on the other side of the pump and see how that works . The water was straight from my faucet. ( I used this because i was just doing this setup to make sure there were no leaks and i didnt want to waste my RO water for this.) I didnt think i was going to have everything right the first time . I guess i was right . Im gonna clean the tank out again and set it back up tomorrow , hopefully everything works as planned .

* the mag pump said you could have it submerged or inline.

dabooth