• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Build my Own Stand

Everyone, Soon I will be building my own stand for a 180 and 125. Is there any advice you can give that you have learned from experience? I found some great plans but I just want to see if there are any hints that anyone has learned.

THANKS!

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Get ahold of Concept 3.75. He's the master stand builder. Also, newsalt did a real nice job on his.

when u start to build it make sure the corners are square & it should be a breeze from there, i all ways measure 3,4,5 times & cut once.
once u have the frame done ur imagination can run wild.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I always like to suggest putting "jacks" under the top plate. It supports it from under. I tried to explain it here.

I cut my stand twice and it was still too short ::) Make sure you have the right tools for the job. I built my current hood with only a circular saw. It looks good from far away, but I know where all the imperfections are.

You always know where your own mistakes are. I totaly refurbished my house and everyone says it looks great but I know where all the mistakes are! I hate that!

How tall did you build your stand? I was thinking of 45" tall so I can fit a good skimmer under there.

My advice is to bring a 12 pack over to Concept's house and have him build it. Stop at blockbusters and grab a few chickflicks to keep his better half occupied. ;D

I am currently using a standard stand. Not allowed to get anything new that is major untill I get a new house. Saving money stinks. :'(