• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Building a Sump

What type of glass is used to make the sections of the sump? Is it just regular window panes or is it precut tempered glass? I tried to build one once upon a time with plexiglass and the sections bowed and eventually failed. Anyhelp would be appriciated.

Josh

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
If it's a small sump you can get be with the thin glass from Lowe's. But going to a glass shop for 1/4" glass would be best. It doesn't have to be tempered glass.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I got the glass I used for my sump from a local glass shop. 1/4" and I just told them what size to make them. It was pretty cheap.

My 20 gal long has plexiglas. No bowing at all. I used the thickest they had at lowes. Mind you it is a glass tank with plexiglas flow partitions.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When I built the 20L sumps for my tanks, I actually brought the tank to the glass shop and left it with them to cut and fit the glass. I used 1/4" on both of them.