• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bulb Changed = Algae Growth .. But for How long??

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I replaced all my T5 bulbs on Feb 14th (what a day to pick :p ). I also added 4 extra bulbs. So I had 8 T5 39 watt bulbs now I have 12 T5 39 watt bulbs.
I was expecting that I will get some extra algae growth. Sure enough I have a lot of green coraline on my rocks and I am everyday cleaning my front glass.

Question is how long before this goes back to normal?? I mean, is there a normal??

My tank has never looked better and my corals are loving the light. Just a bit concerned about the algae growth now ...

Sunny

it will be a while befor it starts to go away.. I was always told never to change them all at once for that exact reason. I always changed two a week. It should eventually catch up though, at least it has for me..

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I read conflicting opinions on that. Actually James advised me to do what you said, but I had already changed the bulbs, mounted new light in canopy :-\.
It is not that bad, but I am getting tired of cleaning the entire front glass every day (6 X 2.5 feet) ..

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think it was the bulb change as much as the sudden increase in light that fueled the algae explosion. Adding that much light increased everything's ability to grow, including (unfortunately) the algae. How fast it burns out depends largely on how much fuel there is in the tank. How are your nitrates and phosphates?

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Nitrates are 5. I will check phosphates again. Last I checked they were fine.

I wonder if the reason your Phosphates were fine is because the algae consumed it already. If you checked your Phosphates after the bulb change and it read okay, the algae growth might have been the cause of the good reading. Just a thought.

My schedule is more for bulb life and keeping some new.

Phyl summed it all up for you most likely.
Try to cut down a bit on feeding, I know you have plenty of flow so shouldn't have much detritus laying about but you can still blow the rocks off with a turkey baster will help some.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Ok here is an update. I just looked at my overflows. The glass is opaque - cannot see a thing back there. I will cleanup on the weekend scrub everything out.
I have never seen so much algae on the overflow glass (back wall). I did add the two light in the back :( (ATI blue plus). I also have a LED there.
Maybe I will keep my LED off for next 2 weeks after cleanup.

Do you think I should throw some turbos in the overflow (there is already one there) and see if they can cleanup some?

I wouldn't. A snail may get stuck in your drain pipe causing a blockage which could cause big problems. Scrape it off with a blade and let your filter. Sock catch it and then remove it. Just my opinion.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Update -

Checked my phosphate levels. They are between 0.2 - 0.5 PPM. I used Red sea kit so hard to tell exact color :(.

What should they be other than the obvious , zero?

I ordered a GFO/calcium reactor anyways.

Sunny

It depends. Some people shoot for undetectable but others say that some is actually better for coral than zero. IMO it depends on what your coral are adjusted to. What works for one person might not work for another.. Also what are you using to check your phosphate levels?