• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bulb choice for MH

I'm going to be putting 2x 250watt SE MH on my new 90. I'm using the icecap ballasts.

Any bulb choice preferences?

I like the white/blue color combination, but would like to see coral growth as well. (I know, asking for the world, aint I!) I don't want the yellower tint if it can be avoided.

I will be supplementing with either 2 or 4 T5s. I can put together any combination on the T5s. In other words, I can do 2 actinics and 2 daylight, or 4 actinics, or any combination thereof.

Any suggestions on bulb brands and color choices would be appreciated. ;D

Your T5s (all 4)should be blue acintic(spelling) halides is another story :-\ Being I use HQI I think I'll let someone else chime in although I really like my Ushio 14ks

Is there a benefit to one over the other? (DE vs SE)?

I see hellolights has an XM 15,000k SE available, bu only a 10,000k SE in Ushio.

I was also reading something about icecap recomending Iwasaki (sp?) for the best results with their ballasts. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

C

concept3

The Icecap Iwasaki combo on their 15K 175 watt seems to produce the best PAR, but as far as I know, the 15K bulbs are unavailable for 250w (waiting on them myself).

I like the 10K XM with actinic supplementation

Merv Rubiano said:
The Icecap Iwasaki combo on their 15K 175 watt seems to produce the best PAR, but as far as I know, the 15K bulbs are unavailable for 250w (waiting on them myself).

I like the 10K XM with actinic supplementation

Now your tank I've seen (pretty much), and the color was good.

Any other suggestions? I've read alot of people seem to use XM, Ushio, or Iwasaki. Those seem to be the 3 popular brand choices.

Hamilton is the only one that make a 250w 14k bulb, that I know of. I went with the 10k Ushio driven by a 250w PFO ballest. I turned it on today just to make sure it worked since I wont be ready to mount it for a couple weeks. It was a little hard to tell exactly, but I would describe the color as crystal white with just a touch of blue. It didn't look to have any yellow tint at all, thankfully.

I'll be supplementing mine with two 72" super actinic vho's.

Jack

Matt, like I said, I didn't have the fixture hanging over a tank full of saltwater and corals. I was just holding it in my hand and turned it on for a few minutes to make sure it worked and see how bright it was. From what I did see though, I really liked the color and I'm hoping it will look the same over the tank.

Jack

Cool. What's your time frame on getting your tank up and running? May be sooner than mine, so keep me posted.
I'll be supplementing with T5 actinic, probably 4x54 watt, 48".

That's two for the 10k. Merv with the XM, and yours with the Ushio.

I probably would be more willing to purchase multiple bulbs and test out the combinations, but the bulbs are so dang expensive! Sheesh! ;D

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I use 10K 250watt XM with no actinics on one tank and 10K 400watt Ushio on the other. I'm happier with the XM.

mikem said:
I use 10K 250watt XM with no actinics on one tank and 10K 400watt Ushio on the other. I'm happier with the XM.

Thanks Mike. What kind of light coloring do you get? Is it white and blue enough for you? I prefer not to have the "yellowish" tinge that I have seen with some lighting. I want the crisp white/blue coloring.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm using 250watt 10k XM w/VHO supplement. It's a nice white light with a hint of blue. I would like a little more blue, I may one day swap out my VHO's and go with T5's.

ReefDrumz said:
I'm using 250watt 10k XM w/VHO supplement. It's a nice white light with a hint of blue. I would like a little more blue, I may one day swap out my VHO's and go with T5's.

I think that's why I'm going to use all 4 of the T5s out of my current rig.

mikem said:
Chrisp white, but my corals are brighter in color.

Cool, sounds like what I'm looking for.

So far, looks like the XM are winning for the results that I want.

Thanks everybody! The feedback is ENORMOUSLY helpful!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're ever in the Middletown area, stop over and see the different color in all my bulbs. If I had spare 250watt bulbs, I'd give them to ya. I've been experimenting with different bulbs for a long time now.

mikem said:
If you're ever in the Middletown area, stop over and see the different color in all my bulbs. If I had spare 250watt bulbs, I'd give them to ya. I've been experimenting with different bulbs for a long time now.

Thanks for the offer, Mike. That's a bit of a haul for me. I'm in what folks 'round this here forum call the "deep south". LOL! ;D (cumberland county, near Millville/Vineland area)