• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bummer

Well I havent stopped by my local fish store in a few months. So I decided I would pop in there. I found a small powder blue tang and was worried how it would interact with my yellow and blue hippo tangs and also what my wife would say when she saw a new addition in the fish tank. I decided to chance it and purchased him. Brought him home floated and dripped him. This was the moment to see how they will intermingle. I placed him in the tank. He seemed to not care about the other two tangs. The hippo went and hid in his hammer coral and the yellow tang came right up to him and introduced himself. Neither one chased the other. I then spent the next 5 minutes cleaning up. Now it was time to pull up a chair sit back and watch the tank. Just as I sat down and focused on the tank the powder blue tang torpedoed right into the carpet anemone. I couldnt believe what just happened. I jumped up and quickly reached into the tank to try and free him. I tried and tried but there was no way to free him. I am still in shock just how briefly I owned this fish and that I just fed my anemone a $60 meal.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had acclimated a $30 shrimp .placed him very carefully on a rock and SWOOP. MY clarki sucked him up like a oyster shooter .

Wow, thats very unfortunate :/ sorry to hear that

It is what it is. I know its a gamble with the anemone eating fish. It has even eaten one of my green chromis before. But normally the fish know to stay away from it.

myrjon said:
I had acclimated a $30 shrimp .placed him very carefully on a rock and SWOOP. MY clarki sucked him up like a oyster shooter .

lol, Im sure you were screaming NO NO NO. Thats what I was screaming.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Way back in the early 90s I had a 75 gal reef with a 12" carpet and fish were going missing I lost at least 4 fish, when it finally ate my powdered blue I ripped that sucker out of the tank cut it open to confirm it was the culprit (it was) and I flung it in the yard. I will never have another. I know pretty harsh but I was pissed :mad:

Wow that is really unfortunate. That's going to be a memory you'll never forget lol. Hockeynut, that is pretty darn harsh lol.

This carpet is roughly 12-14" when hes opened all the way up. I feed him a silverside every Sat. So he ate twice this last Sat. He doesent seem to attack the fish. He did catch a green chromis once. I swear the other fish have bumped into him before. But they generally keep at least a inch away from him. This time the powder blue went into him like a ball into a glove. Just barreled right into him.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Carpets are known fish eaters. While they are super cool. They should be kept in a tank alone. Or with clowns only sometimes they eat them too.