• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bustin' out of the Nano forum!!! Howze's 50b

howze01

NJRC Member
Well, I'm out of the nano forum! Finally got my new 50b up and running. Just rock and sand for now, so no cycling yet. So, here's the set up for now.

It's a 50g breeder tank. 36"x18"x18". It is drilled for a 700gph Glass holes overflow and 2x3/4" returns.
Sump is a 20 long divided into 3 sections. Right to left is drain section with skimmer, fuge in the middle and return chamber on the left.
Skimmer is a Bubble Magus 3.5. I've been told that it may be a bit undersized so this may change in the future.
The fuge has a sandbed. Not overly deep though. Planning on some macro and it's going to be lit by a PAR38 bulb, probably a 65k one. It's going to have some live rock pieces in it as well so I can rotate some pieces out to the DT since I plan on a Mandarin eventually.
Return pump is a Sicce Syncra 5.0. It's pretty overpowered from what I see so far. I have it adjusted all the way down and if I turn it up one notch it drains the pump section of the sump out pretty quick. I'm hoping that having the bio pellets reactor run off the manifold will help. Speaking of manifolds, The manifold has 3 outputs on it but so far only 1 is going to be used. It is a TLF 150 reactor that I'm running bio pellets in.
Inside the tank itself there will be 3 MP10s, one on each side and one in the middle of the back glass.... I think. Will having an MP10 interfere with flow to the overflow? I left a spot in the rock work pretty much right under the overflow as you can see in the pic. If it will I will just leave that off.
Lights will be 2 AI Sol blues. Haven't decided on running times, height above water line etc. yet. That will come later once I get the hanging bracket.
Rock and sand are both from Reef Rocks (reefrocks. net). Just about 40lbs of rock in the DT and a few more in the sump. About 65lbs of sand between the DT and sump.

So, here's the lone picture so far:

6662153639_5de4508f81_z.jpg

I'll get more of the sump and all eventually. So, any questions, concerns or comments, feel free to chime in.

A few thanks before I end though. First is Bax (baxreefs). Got the tank and stand from him for a great price as well as some awesome frags to start off with. He seems to be
Next is Brian (thermosts). He has offered so much help and advice as well as a visit or 3 or 4 to help me along the way. Drilling the tank, figuring out plumbing, letting me steal his manifold and plenty of annoying questions from me.
Couldn't have done it without CJ's (GluttonousSolarWrasse) help too. He did all the plumbing for me since I absolutley stink at it. It's also taking up space in his house as well so without that, there wouldn't be a tank build.
Thirty5 is helping with the light fixture as well. When I say helping, I mean he's building it for me. His build came out awesome and I know mine will as well.
I can't leave out others like Tony (shipwrecked), John (Audi0s), Brandon (Brando457), Kevin....(kevin), Olivier.....(Olivier), Mike & Nikki (I'm done putting screen names now), Jae, David, Peter, Sid, Darren that have been awesome friends and have helped me tremendously.

I'm sure I missed people but we'll get to them eventually.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I remember the when we broke out of the nano forum with the 45g, it was exhilarating. Looking forward to the progress and if you haven any other questions feel free to ask.

This is great to see it all coming together.Couldnt happen to a nicer person too.I like the choice you chose for the tank stand(still think you should of done a rainbow for the backround...hahhaa)You've come along way and have some nice equiptment picked out to go the mile.It's really kewl to have this hobby to meet people like yrself.Cant say enough gd things 'bout ya kid.Now get some water in that thing would ya...lol

howze01

NJRC Member
Now get some water in that thing would ya...lol

But....but...it's full of water. I can add more but I don't think it would work out well.

Thanks to everyone else! Can't wait to get some life going in there. Not sure how I want to cycle it though. I know I don't want to use a random fish that I don't want in there for the life of it. Like a damsel or something. I'm thinking the shrimp approach. Anyone have any suggestions? I've had some rock in CJ's sump for almost a month now and I'm going to add a cup or so of sand from my 30g to jumpstart it. I also have a bottle of bacteria starter to use since I'm using the bio pellets too.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Woohooo!!!!

Wow 3 MP-10s? Holy flow Batman! One in the middle will not cause issues with the overflow. If anything, the drain hose would be more of a problem, limiting where you could put the drive motor.

with 3 mp10, i don't think Jon would run it at full speed.

awesome rock work. about people name, just say entire club :) j/k. log off to give Brayden a bath now.

howze01

NJRC Member
I'm sure they won't be running at 100%. I wanted 3 of them because I'm not really getting too much flow out of the Sicce on the lowest setting. I'll be getting even less once I get the reactor up and running.

I don't actually have the 3rd MP yet. I didn't eventhink of the tube on the overflow. I checked and it is kind of in the way. I may just have to offset it a bit to the left. The overflow is angled to the right anyway so that should help.

Everything looks and sounds great. I have the same skimmer set up on my 20. Haven't turned it on yet though. Do you like it? I found a couple things weird on mine. Unless its me. When dialed in to "off" it seems to be at maximum water level, and vice versa for the "max" settting. Anyway good luck with the 50.
John

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Love the rock work too Jonathan. Good luck with the big boys tank. Looking forward to following along for the progress.

howze01

NJRC Member
With the tank shut off, what is the level in your sump like?

I have about an inch to spare....not too much!

Everything looks and sounds great. I have the same skimmer set up on my 20. Haven't turned it on yet though. Do you like it? I found a couple things weird on mine. Unless its me. When dialed in to "off" it seems to be at maximum water level, and vice versa for the "max" settting. Anyway good luck with the 50.
John

Haven't even fired it up yet. I thought you weren't supposed to run it during the cycle but if I get my bio pellets going I will probably fire it up.

Thanks Kevin and George! I kinda like the way it came out too. Of course the Queen of Tank Decorating, my sister, saw it and said "Eh, it's OK." Probably the best I was going to hear anyway!

I'd hardly call it a "big boys" tank at a combined 60+ gallons but I will get there eventually!!

I popped a shrimp in today and threw about a cup of sand combined from CJ's tank and my little 30 so things should start heating up in there soon!

howze01

NJRC Member
Tank is cycling for about a week now and I just set up the bio pellets reactor. Started out with a miniscule dose of them, about a 1/4 cup. Figured I should start them small since I don't have much going on in there yet.

I will be picking up the first of my new fish for the tank this Friday too. It's going to have to spend a couple weeks in the 30 but I'm sure it will be fine. I talked Will into holding a Naoke Fairy Wrasse. Such an awesome fish! It was a tough decision between that and the Suzuki Anthias but I figured a delicate fish like an Anthias should wait for a bit.

If you haven't seen a Naoke, here's a pic from good ol' Google:

6722953613_5914b5c037_z.jpg

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That is a sick looking fish, I like it! :D

When do you plan to transfer some test frags to the new tank?