• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Calcium/carbon reactor

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Maybe you need to elaborate on this setup. But if you are putting calcium media to be melted. How do you plan o providing CO2 and what is the impact of CO2 on carbon.

I'm not too sure I have a diy reactor that I run half carbon and a bag of GFO, now that I'm getting nopox I will be removing the GFO, so I thought I could replace it with some calcium media, I have been having a hard fight with keeping my calc in the right range of around 450+ I have upped my water changes and dosing Kent marines 2 part for nano reefes

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Use kalk in your ato...works for me.

You would need to dissolve the calcium media like @ecambero mentioned in order for it to work. If your going down that road you're gonna need a calcium reactor

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
There will be no need as the kalk will supplement both Alk and Cal. Just start off slow

Would the low calc be causing my hem to act like this
25cf6328938256504c4a5bfa83a3842f.jpg

So I just picked up some kalk +2 from brightwell, am I safe to just add it to my top off and let that supplement my calc between water changes?

Sup Jeff! Kalk is best to be used with your ATO just make sure u figure how potent u want the mix to be. I highly recommend that u should have some kind of pro grade test kit for cal/alk, blindly dosing anything can wreck your tank... I recommend that u watch the video made by BRS regarding using kalk, good luck m8.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So I just picked up some kalk +2 from brightwell, am I safe to just add it to my top off and let that supplement my calc between water changes?

I use the same stuff. For me I just add it to my top off. It's the best Kalk that I have used thus far. Mixes easily and dissolves faster than other brands

How big is your ato? I use 1tsp per gallon

I make a 5 gal bucket and then I pour that in my 2gal resivoir as needed, so I mixed it 1tsp per gal let it sit and then transfer that to my resivoir

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If your current numbers aren't that far off from where your sweet spot is, I wouldn't go that much to start. I'd go about half that, this way you can test in between and adjust from there

so I'd say like 1 tsp per 2gal just to be safe as you can overdose the stuff

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Also try no to disturb the solution once mixed as you don't want that white gunk in your tank. So id add the mix directly to your 2gal ato

Reactions: OiA