• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Calcium feeding Algae

DSC01858-1.jpg

Ok, this stuff is back again... It's consuming all of my calcium added daily with two part. I've been keeping my hands out of the tank for the past few weeks, but last night i couldn't take it anymore and started ripping it off of my rocks.

These pics are from my tank in 07'

Last time I just ripped it all off and it eventually died off in a couple of mos. Any opinions?

Temp 79 degrees
Ak-9.8
Cal- was 450 but dropped to 350 in a week due to this stuff. Added Turbo Cal, will do it again today.
PH-8.4
Mg-1400
Grav 1.026
lots of flow
water Ro/DI w/0 phosphates (for topoff)have the two way TDS meter on unit
P04 (in tank) - using phosban, don't have a Hanna meter, also change water every two weeks (10%)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For as small as it is, I'm shocked at how much Ca it is taking up. That seems to defy the laws of conservation of Mass. Tom... where are you and what do you think is going on here?! ;D

That guy Mark levenson has a site melev reef or something and he has it identified.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/algae.html

Check this out: Neomeris annulata in abundance!! Never have I ever seen it in a tank like the picture above. Usually you'll see at most 5 branches of this calcium-based macro algae, and it tends to only live a short duration. Ryan has so much of it growing in his reef that he's giving it away. He even posted a picture of a snail on the glass with Neomeris sp. hanging off the shell like an octopus. Amazing. Reef-safe

What is your daily calcium consumption with this growing? without? How much in abundance is this growing? Throughout the tank or just that rock in the pic? If you truly dropped 100ppm in 7 days, thats only 14ppm per day. My 125 consumes twice that daily. What hard corals do you have and how well is the coralline growing? Lots and lots of questions.

60% of my rocks. Seemed to happen when I switched from B-ionic to a commonly used two part kit (well three really).
I'm only test once a week. I saw some growing over the past month, but over the past say week and 1/2 it went nuts.
Coraline is growing well, new spores spreading on the glass. The rocks are kicking in with punk hue.
I ripped the majority off last night, going to scoop it out with a new when I get home today.

After you rip it all out......see what your daily calcium uptake is. I would say what your seeing now is entirely possible then if its 60% of your tank.