• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Calcium Overload...

Starting to really hate my apex. I use a dosing pump to maintain calcium and alk in my tank. When I refreshed my calcium I always test it to make sure I have a prime on the pump, well my apex said it was in auto but stayed on, checked it many times so not sure how that happened.

What are the issues with over dosing calcium. Have to run a test and about to do a 20% water change tomorrow anyway, but my reading is at 565 via a Hanna Checker, but that explains why my ALK/pH are lower than normal, just slightly.

Thanks

You found the only real issue with high calcium, it will push down alk. I would not do anything to lower it, let it lower itself slowly.

That is what I thought, its not that high anyway but man I am getting tired of the issues with my Apex.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Agree. Overdosing calc is not really a problem. Just turn off your calc dosing until it comes down to where you what it.

I wasn't able to take a photo of my apex induced nightmare...alk pump running off ph probe and here's why that is a bad idea. Just filled the container and one day later a whole gallon dumped into the system and ph is still low? Well since my cheato is overgrowing the chamber that the pumps dose into the fluid dosed wasn't in high enough flow causing it to sink to the bottom of that chamber and solidify! Of course the problems always come up at 11 pm so shut the return,brew some salt mix and fire up the shop vac. Ugh...electronics and user error

horseplay

NJRC Member
Running ALK off PH? This is the first time I heard someone doing this. Can't imagine this will actually work. Do you have this running for a while now?

Almost a year tank seems to be successful sps great growth I know it's not the right way but it works getting ready to revamp the dosing system and do the proper calculations through the apex and brs 1.1ml dosers. Obvious its not a set and forget setup I test three times a week and make adjustments as needed