• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

calcium reactor and reef fanatic valve

I just setup my calcium reactor. My question will be
1) how is the reef fanatic valve work. I plug it in AC outlet and hear a click from solenoid activate but after that i don't see any on/off action. only red LED on. What should I expect from this electronic valve controller?

2) how much should I regulate the flow of calcium out into my tank? how can I control the calcium level?

thank you in advance
Olivier

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you have a bubble counter hooked up to it? When you hear that click and see the red light, that means that the solenoid is open and the regulator should be allowing CO2 to flow. There is a needle valve on the regulator to control the CO2 flow. By having your line go through a bubble counter, you can use the needle valve to adjust the flow to somewhere around 1 bubble per second.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure what Ca Reactor you have but you should not open the effluent valve all the way. I forget what the flow rate should be. It's something like 100mL a minute or something. I can tell you that our effluent runs a little quicker than that. The way I dial it in is to get to a point where the drop rate is pretty quick but not a steady stream. You can still see individual droplets but they're coming pretty fast. I also have my bubble rate up a bit higher than one per second. The whole thing is pH controlled by our AquaController so I don't think the rates are as critical as it would be if I weren't using the controller.

That was probably a bit of a ramble! We can talk about it in more detail on Saturday if you still have any questions.

John
thank you very much for answering me. I will see you at the party. Hopefully by then my otherhalf and my son will be out of their sickness and come along.