• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Calling GFO users

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
So I have decided to give rowaphos a try. I have a single BRS reactor I plan to use. It came with only one sponge. Question is - does this sponge go at the bottom or on the top?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I have the mini....its ontop, then that cap with silver gasket snaps in. And that tube goes into the canister (if i remember correctly )

So I have decided to give rowaphos a try. I have a single BRS reactor I plan to use. It came with only one sponge. Question is - does this sponge go at the bottom or on the top?

Any reason you are trying rowaphos? Are you seeing an impact from phosphate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

charterreefer

The sponge goes on the top because you don't want the GFO fines going into the tank. If you are running carbon and can put the effluent from the gfo reactor into it all the better. I have mine going into carbon then going into one of my filter socks (overkill but safe).
If reactor space is a concern BRS makes a stronger GFO version that is 2x stronger so you only use 1/2 as much.

C

charterreefer

You probably already know this but I have to mention it. Go slow at first with the GFO! 1 cup (regular strength) and watch for a couple weeks. You can shock your system very quickly when you first start using it. The coral can get pale. I dose amino acid to help reduce this.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
The sponge goes on the top because you don't want the GFO fines going into the tank. If you are running carbon and can put the effluent from the gfo reactor into it all the better. I have mine going into carbon then going into one of my filter socks (overkill but safe).
If reactor space is a concern BRS makes a stronger GFO version that is 2x stronger so you only use 1/2 as much.

I had my GFO and Carbon reactors (BRS Dual Reactors) and even my ATO line going into my filter shock first as well. When I first started in the hobby I saw a video where someone had their reactors going into this filter shocks and said he just wanted to make sure all water entering his sump is filter before heading back to the DT just in case.

C

charterreefer

On the other hand I have not run GFO for a long time. I just don't see the need for it when you can carbon dose.
From what I understand about carbon dosing or biopellets is if your nitrates go down to zero your system won't be able create more bacteria in order to tie up and remove the PO4 (according to the redfield ratio). Some add nitrate in a controllable dose to help this along.

From what I understand about carbon dosing or biopellets is if your nitrates go down to zero your system won't be able create more bacteria in order to tie up and remove the PO4 (according to the redfield ratio). Some add nitrate in a controllable dose to help this along.
You are correct, I have nitrate on a dosing pump and can keep my levels exactly at 2 nitrate, .03 phos.