• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can I keep an Anemone?

I am running my 55 (until the 120 upgrade) with 4x54 HO T5. Water chemistry is stable: PH 8.2, Salinity 1.025, Ammonia: 0, 'trite:0 'trate:0 Calcium runs between 400 and 450 (the test was hard to read).

My stupid clowns are trying to host my zoas! They just started doing this today, wierdest thing I ever saw. So, I wanted to get them an anemone and hope they would host that.

Or should I just wait until the 120 upgrade which will have Halides?

My poor zoas keep closing and opening, it's like some sick dance.

I would think it all depends on how long until the upgrade. If it will only be a couple months then wait it out. If it will be a longer time then go for it.

how old is the tank. Anem must have a mature tank. PC lightings are okay for Bubble tips, if you have any more questions please ask and good luck :)

I started the tank in May 06.

Has about 80 to 90 lbs of LR, some live sand (only about an inch or so).

I run a 20 Gallon sump also with rubble.

I would think as long as your water params are fine it should do well. My experience is limited to carpets and seabaes (I know I'm spelling that wrong, haven't had enough coffee yet). Growth will really be determined by your feeding schedule: feed it less=less growth, feed it constantly=HUGE anemone. The anem should really be fine for a couple of months, possibly even a year, again, it really depends on your feeding schedule.

Also, my epxerience is limited to carpets and sebaes. I've had much better success with carpets than sebaes, people with experience with other type can provide much better info on those.

FWIW

Tom

We've had PC's in our tank from the beginning (only now waiting for our MH's to come in) & had no trouble with BTA and Carpet Anemones. The BTA was put in when the tank was probably only abt. 6 mos old or so. The Carpet has been in there since it was abt. 8 mos old. They've both thrived, the BTA is hosted by a GSMC and the Carpet eats any/everything it can get it's tentacles on.

We had a failure with a Pacific Pink Tipped that was beautiful, but we're pretty sure we overfed it. Meaning the food was too big. We followed the example when we got it in the store and the guy fed it a silverside to show us how healthy he was. Had him for a few weeks and right after a feeding he dove under the sand never to be seen again. Read later on that if the food they eat is too big it can really mess them up and kill them.

your tank is mature enought to put a RBTA in it , the clowns should host in it from 15 mint the anenomee is in it or a couple of days , the pc are good for the anenomees , MH are better but the anenomees is going to walk around if is to much light and find a spot where they want to be or stay where is at , now if you need a RBTA i have some for sale here http://www.njreefers.org/forums/index.php/topic,2561.0.html
good luck in your decision .

Ralph

camz28 said:
your tank is mature enought to put a RBTA in it , the clowns should host in it from 15 mint the anenomee is in it or a couple of days , the pc are good for the anenomees , MH are better but the anenomees is going to walk around if is to much light and find a spot where they want to be or stay where is at , now if you need a RBTA i have some for sale here http://www.njreefers.org/forums/index.php/topic,2561.0.html
good luck in your decision .

Ralph

Ralph, I'd love one of those RBTAs! I'm running T5s, so I guess the general opinion is that I'm between PC and MH. Although some would argue that the T5 are closer to the MH then the other spectrum.

However, I don't know when I'd be able to get to Edison. Maybe sometime over the weekend. You are about 2 hours from me. I'm in 08348.

Matt what kind of clowns do you have?

I bought a BTA in hopes that my pair of Ocellaris would host in it. They never did. They would rather host with the powerhead :( On the good side I have had the BTA about 4 or 5 months now and it's doing well under my pc's. I wondered for awhile, but it eventually found a spot way up on the rocks that it likes.

Jack

Hey Jack, they are a pair of Tomato clowns. I got them when they were less than an inch, and they have been perfect with each other and completely inseperable since I got them, so I am HOPING for a TRUE pair.

I have to try to get some pics of them trying to settle in to the zoas. It's actually getting comical.

I have T5's, so I am thinking I will probably be ok with an Anem.

wow...scorcha, you had a carpet under pcs??? Did it loose color? What was the par on the bulbs? I would not suggest putting a carpet under PC lighting...chime in here people..

C

concept3

i've kept a carpet anemone under NO before, but it was in a 20 gallon long (days of high school, many many many moons ago), it did fairly well (but wouldn't do it now), and certainly did not flouresce a cool green under actinics like the ones under higher PAR lights. I think key to that anemone's well being was being well fed, which I did everyday, and the lights direcly on top of it for 12 hours straight.