• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can i see some black and blue back-grounded tanks

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
If you goto the forsale forum under 150 RR for sale mine is there with a blue back.
That film stuff sounds neat but I don't know what salt creep might do to it,seems like the same principal as car window tint film.

I used that for my 55...I tried to smooth it out with a CC but it was difficult to do. I ended up with very slight creases...I'm guessing someone more handy could have gotten out the bubbles. It wasn't obvious unless you stared at it up close and the tank was empty. Once the tank was filled with LR - no one could notice the slight bubbles in the back. So - all in all it was an ok product.

With the new tank I have - I went the same route Mike (Napoli) did, which was to grab a can of spray paint and paint the back black.

If you look up his 120 tale of the tank - he mentions it on his website.

Here's a pic of my tank back side...for contrast you can look in the overflows to see where I got lazy spraying the paint and didn't bother...(i painted the back - not the inside).
IMG_3730.jpg

I used the stuff from Blue ribbon (blue on one side Black on the other) I got it from a LFS for $1 per foot 30" high. I wouldn't go too nut's since you'll have coraline algae growing on the glass anyway.

It says "eliminates water stains, salt/lime buildup, dirt and any other foreign matter from ever appearing on the back glass of your aquarium" So i assume it's salt safe. Thanks for the pictures.
mott768; I was looking for something like that. I'll have to check it out.
Thanks again

i have always just spray painted my tanks. i have done black and different shades of blue. my current tank 180g is spray painted navy blue, which IMO looks best with atinics.

anyway, i saw this other day and i thought it was kinda cool

scroll down to mid page and click background panel

http://www.weatherson.com/equipment.htm

For my first tank, my little reef (26gal) I painted the back medium blue and I think it looks really good. On my larger reef I went with a black back. Both look good but I think I would good with the blue next time.

Fishtank026.jpg

Fishtank020.jpg

here ya go nick-

old 55 with blue background
January2005.jpg

tank last year with NO background:
WHOLE-TANK.jpg

tank now with a black and corraline ridden black background:
tankaugust2007.jpg

Thank you so much for all the pictures.
It's so tough because they both good!
The black looks really good and brings out the colors, but the blue seems more natural. Hmm...

Nick

mott768 said:
Hey Nick, that's why I went with the 2 sided stuff, If I didn't like the one I could just flip it over :)

I did the same thing. I can switch around - according to mood. ;D Love it that way, to.

---
Wendy

Mine is blue ribbon brand it goes from a lighter blue at the top (no white) to a bark blue on the bottom, it was on my 120, the black side I have on my 80 bow.

i leave the back alone, it will eventually get covered in algae. (long eventually). although, you can see the fishes color better with a black or blue background. i would have a professional window tinter to do it (if its a show tank).

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Buy 2 sheets of 1/8 inch thick acrylic (one black and the other blue) and velcro it to the back of the tank. This way you can change the background anytime you want.

That's a good idea. I just don't have anywhere to store the other piece. I'll probbly just go with double sided stuff.
Thanks for the other idea's though!

Nick