• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Can you run Chemi pure in a reactor?

I been using chemi pure sice I started reefing, and still am. I also run a berlin style system with no filter bags just my skimmer. Because of this the chemi bags get filled with junk and i'm tired of rinsing them. Is there a reactor I can put them in? Any certain model better than another for this

I think it would be better in a reactor than in a bag. Water will flow around a bag (less resistance) than through it. Leaving the media in the middle of the bag not used or partially used. I have been using the Phosban reactor 150 by Two Little Fishies and they work great.

I use mine in a reactor. I open the bag and pour it in, then rinse it in the reactor well. Tune the reactor so that it's tumbling slightly on the top, but not turbulent.

ricwilli said:
I think it would be better in a reactor than in a bag. Water will flow around a bag (less resistance) than through it. Leaving the media in the middle of the bag not used or partially used. I have been using the Phosban reactor 150 by Two Little Fishies and they work great.

i have two of these daisy chained together- phosban in the first one, chemipure in the second

ricwilli said:
I think it would be better in a reactor than in a bag. Water will flow around a bag (less resistance) than through it. Leaving the media in the middle of the bag not used or partially used.

Exactly why i'm askin this question. The bag method is horrible. Water never gets to the middle especially in the big bag I been usin.

Another ?

Those of you running reactors, do you put the powerhead for the reactor in a filter bag or use a prefilter so it's only clean water going to the reactor and it doesn't get jammed up with deitrus and other waste

Nickjr000, can you post pics? Another newbie here ??? and I was curious how is it set up in your tank?
I am using a bag of carbon in my berlin sump. I was going to switch to chemipure before I read your post. Where exactly do you place it? Why do you have to put it inside another bag? Why is your bag gets jammed with waste? Do you have any mechanical filter like a 100 micron bag to filter the water before it gets to the bag of chemipure? ??? Sorry for the stupid questions. :-[

whitebear1020 said:
Nickjr000, can you post pics? Another newbie here ??? and I was curious how is it set up in your tank?
I am using a bag of carbon in my berlin sump. I was going to switch to chemipure before I read your post. Where exactly do you place it? Why do you have to put it inside another bag? Why is your bag gets jammed with waste? Do you have any mechanical filter like a 100 micron bag to filter the water before it gets to the bag of chemipure? ??? Sorry for the stupid questions. :-[

I run a berlin style which means no bags just a skimmer. The bag of chemipure is basically jammed in my homemade bubble trap. So it gets loaded with gunk. It's just annoying and lookin for a different way to use it.

And there's no stupid ?'s in reefin ;D btw If you run a filter pad or bags you shouldn't have a problem

Rbu1 said:
I guess no one cares that it states right on the bottle not to use in a reactor?

I don't see why you couldn't but hey that's why I'm askin. I know it's pretty fine , so I was thinkin of just leavin it in the bag and puttin it in the reactor

I was under the impression that chemipure was just carbon and chemipure elite was carbon and a phosphate remover. If I'm right isn't there more cost effective products out they for reactor use?

vangvace said:
I was under the impression that chemipure was just carbon and chemipure elite was carbon and a phosphate remover. If I'm right isn't there more cost effective products out they for reactor use?

Yea there is. I never ran a reactor before that's why I was using the chemi pure. Was using it 10 years ago with nitrex that was the "thing to do". I guess it's hard to break old habits. It always worked well for me though. When I ran it the water was always noticeably clearer.

Whats a good media to run in a reactor for phosphates then?