• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Canister Filter

Hi NJ!

Been quite a long time since I posted. My tank is officially a year old and I did a dumb thing - cracked one of the hinges on my Ehiem so I had to replace it. Good news is that Petsmart's oddly named National Geographic branded canisters are made by Ehiem. Only difference is that the Nat Geo is a smoke colored plastic instead of Eheim green. Oh and they are about 1/3 less expensive. So here is my thought...

The new color is fairly clear. I am thinking of taping an old light to it and using it as a sump to grow some cheato or something like that. I have been having a problem with green slime algae and thought this might help.

I am running a canister since it is a small tank, not drilled, and they are just neater than a real sump.

Anyone ever heard of such an idea? Tried it? Succeeded? Failed?

Open to thoughts and ideas.

Thanks
STeven

I have seen refugiums made out of canister filters. Usually it involves some sort of waterproof light and a drill. Not sure enough light would go through the plastic to promote growth. I have also seen a window added.