• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Carbon Preferences

black diamond.... i just can't bring myself to spend alot on carbon. some people but the designer german stuff for a ton of money... but i'd have to see a study that shows a difference before i could spend more than neccessary

I've been using the stuff we get in the NJRC group buys.

I bought 55lbs. last buy. The stuff is great and less expensive than anything on the market.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
REEFLECTIONS said:
black diamond.... i just can't bring myself to spend alot on carbon. some people but the designer german stuff for a ton of money... but i'd have to see a study that shows a difference before i could spend more than neccessary
I also use Black Diamond for the same reason.

Bob

Just curious. I use Chemipure Elite, doesn't this work the same as carbon, basically it is carbon right, with other additives for removal of Phosphates, nitrates etc...?

I don't have a reactor for carbon, just for the GFO. I just have the carbon in mesh media bags in the sump. Think a reactor is necessary or actually beneficial?

I seek stability with my p04...
Damn I need to get a P04 meter! lol

Erik R.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You really need some way to actively push water through the carbon. Just letting it sit passively in your sump is very ineffective.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Some carbons actually contribute to the levels of PO4 in your system.

malulu

NJRC Member
a "wiser" (steve68) once said: "... the carbon normally should change about every 2 weeks... and if left for too long... it would contribute the *bad stuff* back in your tank..."
;)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There is also a carbon thread in our advanced forum that will make your head spin. Not sure I've found the ultimate answer though.

Phyl said:
will make your head spin. Not sure I've found the ultimate answer though.

Ha.....what it really boils down to for our purposes is how much your willing to spend. When you look at the higher end carbons, the cost to benefit factor starts getting really gray.

malulu

NJRC Member
just use the best carbon that you are willing to affort...
;)

some any carbons are better than no-carbon?
;D

just make sure to change them everything 2 weeks or so. (or take it out after 2 weeks, when no new refill were available yet...)
:D

malulu said:
just make sure to change them everything 2 weeks or so. (or take it out after 2 weeks, when no new refill were available yet...)
:D

That's kind of a blanket statement that's not really true for everyone. You should test the input and output to find what your own personal timeline should be. On my 125g w/55g sump pretty well stocked, I can go for almost a month and a half before changing the carbon in a TLF reactor. This goes for GFO as well.

Just test what goes in and what comes out. If you get the same or more on the output, its time to change things. Test for all the usual suspects. You really only need to do this once unless you make any changes to your tank. Otherwise why throw something away thats still good.

I was using Black Diamond, but always found my PO4 to be high. Currently I'm using KZ Zeo Carbon. I like it. I change it every month. If I was to change, I would probably switch to Rox .08 like pnoyreefer is using. That carbon is made by Norit (http://www.norit-americas.com/norit-rox08.html). We do work with Norit and they are one of the leaders in Carbon next to Calgon. Maybe I can get Norit to give me a sample for the club to try out.