• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Carnivourus sea urchin

Today I witnessed my long spined sea urchin eating the carcass of my diseased engineer goby. The death of the goby came as no surprise to me. I have been noticed it acting strange and not eating as usual. What did surprise me was finding the sea urchin eating the corpse. Even after pulling it out of its mouth it was still trying to eat some of the flesh that came loose in its spines. Only after offering it some dried seaweed did it stop going for the flesh. Has anyone ever heard of a thing like this before?

Sounds like a horrible halloween nightmare john... I don't wanna wake up with some spiny urchin eating my face....... its over for that urchin man... It has tasted .... THE FLESH.... it will go after you next.... once they taste the flesh they never go back.. :(

--grin..

MENSGBOE- (My Experience Non Scientific Guess Based on Experience) ---- They are scavengers and omnivorous. Eating w/e comes easy or dead whether it be alge or goby. A chromis died and I saw a SandSifting Star Fish roll over it and NOM NOM NOM... WetWebMedia has a few cases of Nom Nom starfish and urchies..

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have had pincushion urchins eat dead fish before. So I am not surprised as stated before they are scavengers.

Sounds like a horrible halloween nightmare john... I don't wanna wake up with some spiny urchin eating my face....... its over for that urchin man... It has tasted .... THE FLESH.... it will go after you next.... once they taste the flesh they never go back.. :(

--grin..

MENSGBOE- (My Experience Non Scientific Guess Based on Experience) ---- They are scavengers and omnivorous. Eating w/e comes easy or dead whether it be alge or goby. A chromis died and I saw a SandSifting Star Fish roll over it and NOM NOM NOM... WetWebMedia has a few cases of Nom Nom starfish and urchies..
I guess I better keep my face out of the tank. That would be a nightmare.

The urchin actually gave up eating the carcass remains after I put in a piece of dried seaweed. I guess it was really hungry.