• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Caught 6 baby percs so far...

Sounds like you are going to have a fun night,snap us who dont sleep some pictures as it goes if you can, have fun and good luck .

they aren't cooperating. These first 6 decided to come first. The rest are still on the tank wall. Waiting.... ::)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did you get any sleep? Did any more hatch? How are those first six doing?

Thanks!!!!! ;D

I appear to have "saved" a total of 8 from the display. I definitely lost one in the display - it went down instead of up and my cardinalfish sleep "down" there...

Of the 8 - one of them was dead this morning.

So I have 7 left. My rotifer sieve has not arrived from Brineshrimp direct yet (yes a bit of bad planning on my part). So I had no choice but to take the water from the rotifer culture and pour that in directly. It appears to be "ok" as my ammonia badge isn't going crazy.

What's cool is that it looks like they are hunting and pecking at the rotifers!

I was really worried the air stone was too strong for them - but watching them today - they are very strong swimmers. Darting about this way and that. It's great.
Ahhh...this is a lot of fun.

Phyl said:
Did you get any sleep? Did any more hatch? How are those first six doing?

I sat by my pc and watched a jackie chan movie on hulu.com. Every time there was a commercial break, I got up to check the water surface. I went to bed at around 4AM. I was disappointed I didn't get the "hundred" fry on one scoop. But all my checking of the eggs must have delayed their hatch a day. This isn't a good thing as it means they will have one less day to survive as they are using their yolk saks now instead of hunting for rotifers.

Oh well. I am tired but luckily it's the weekend.

UGH! It looks like they just all got eaten by mommy. I'm guesssing she didn't like the fact they were still on the wall after 8 days. I dunno.

But there are NO babies on the wall now.

So I guess my save rate is only like 5% since all the others were eaten. :'(

Now I've got to focus on the remaining ones in the larvae tank.

So I am winging it now...

As I don't have a rotifer sieve, I've decided to try co-culturing the rotifers with the larvae and see how that goes.

There are still 8 babies in the tank. I miscounted somehow. So I must have seen a total of 10. missed one in the display. So that means I caught a total of 9 from the display. 1 was dead on the morning after (day1)- so I'm left with 8.

Day 1: 10 AM filled a cup of rotifers with greenwater/rotifer feast - poured it directly in the tank.
Day 1: 2pm filled another cup of rotifers...fed tank. Dosed a drop of rotifer feast incase the larvae are not eating all the rotifers and so the rotifers have something to eat and stay nutritious for the larvae.
Day 1: 8pm fed tank.
Day 1: Lights out at 11pm.

Today is day 2 of larvae rearing. None dead so that's a positive!
Day:2: 9AM Lights on.
I noticed two babies swimming in circles - this is a sure sign the NO light is TOO strong. I will make a note that on day 3 - to raise the light before it comes on so it doesn't shock them.

Day 2: 9AM Fed tank. Dosed a drop of rotifer feast.
Day 2: 12pm Fed tank.

The larvae are really fast - far better swimmers than the clumsy adults. I am looking for peanut shapes larvae at this time - to ensure that the only parts of the bulging bodies are the head (eye development) and the stomach. So I'm looking for peanuts with tails basically. ;D They appear to look like that...but what do I know - this is my first time.

rotifer sieve, brine shrimp eggs (de-capsulated) should all arrive tomorrow. I also ordered another batch of rotifer cysts but I don't think I will need those since I only have 8 babies. I guess they can be stored for the future.