• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

center brace problem

I have a 150 with a plastic center brace. over time my halide lamp melted it and now is is completely separated from one side. tank is slightly bowing in center about 1/8 of an inch. I bought a clamp and have it temporarily braced again.
Has anyone had this problem before? can I glue a strip of acrylic across on the 1/4 inch strip that runs around the tank?
don't know if the regular PVC cement will work or Weldon 4. any help would be appreciated.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have the same prob and tried to glue it with no luck and i have only a 45gl best bet is to buy a new top frame with brace unless you don't mind the look of a clamp on the tank.. I know I don't :'(

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've seen people cut out the old brace and put acrylic in its place...I'd leave an inch or two on each end of the original brace, use Weldon between the old brace stubs and the acrylic, and I'd even tap and put nylon screws for security if you'd like.

Maybe make a u out of metal and slide it over the top of the tank. Measure the width you need and then have it come down an inch on each side. Silicone it in place.