• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Ceramic magnets

I want to mount some frags to the back glass of my nano. I was thinking of gluing some ceramic magnets to frag plugs so I can move them around. I did some reading and ceramic magnets are suppose to be reef safe. Just seeing if anyone is using them on here before I try it. I bought some off Amazon and put a couple in a cup of saltwater just to make sure they dont rust.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I thought about that but from what I read the epoxy might break down and crack after a while.

How about plastic? I have these low melt plastic beads that I put in 200 deg water and it softens. You have a few minutes to work with it before it hardens. If you make a mistake you can put it back in the water. I use it to mount colonies to rocks, and sometimes to hold rocks together.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I've been looking for a way to make my own frag racks.. I just ordered suction cups that I can use tie wraps on and than I'll take a piece of egg crate and suspend it using the suction cups..

If you find waterproof magnets let me know

How about plastic? I have these low melt plastic beads that I put in 200 deg water and it softens. You have a few minutes to work with it before it hardens. If you make a mistake you can put it back in the water. I use it to mount colonies to rocks, and sometimes to hold rocks together.

That's cool I'll have to order some of that and try it out.

I like magnets better then suction cups and I see some one already made mention of it to be cautioned about the type of magnet and the possibility of its covering breaking down. Most magnets in reef tanks are covered in plastic or epoxy and sealed. Alot of the cheaper equipment especially knock off brands use cheaper earth magnets that contain alot of toxic metals that can leech into the tank water if the equipment isn't properly handled and cared for, higher end tend to use rare earth metals such as neodymium and others which too can also pose hazard. Two things to keep in mind is the type of magnet and how its contained befor placing it in the water a lesser caution is cusion between the glass and the magnet as some strong magnets can actually stress and crack the tank especially if there is a potential for vibration to transmit threw the object attached.

Couldn’t you encase them in epoxy to be sure?
I dont know if epoxy is the way to go... I encased some magnets in epoxy to try to angle my power heads a little more. And within a day of putting them in my tank I had 3 sps rtn, haven't lost a coral in 6 months prior. And after removing them and doing a water change and running carbon I didnt loose any more. May be a coincidence but I wouldn't take the chance again.