• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

chalice help!!!

i have a 8ish" round hollywood stunner chalice. earlier this week it tipped off it's perch in the rocks, and landed upside down on some zoas. by the time i got it, it had about a 1"ish dead spot. today i got home, and there was an area about 2" covered in gooey (sp?) grossness. i blew it off with the turkey baster and that whole area was dead. my first instinct is to cut away a decent area around the affected area and do a dip in revive. does anyone agree or disagree with this path of action and if not, why, and what would you recommend? input a.s.a.p. would be appreciated as this is one of my centerpiece corals. thanks.

I had a similar problem with an engineer goby flipping my warpaint chalice. It has some dead spots on it, but I let it go. The flesh is slowly growing back over it.

ok, sticking with the passive advise for now, but if anyone else has any more aggressive opinions for a course of action, please advise. even thought it's the "cheapest" chalice, it's really big and one of the few large, nicest (in my opinion) corals that i have. and i'm really concerned i'll wake up tomorrow and half of it will be dead.

Sounds like the chalice developed a "brown jelly infection" after being stressed from the sting. Next time turm off all the circulation in the tank, put a plastic bag over your hand and take the coral out of the tank inside the bag (you don't want the jelly to blow around the tank). Rinse the jelly off in separate container of tank water and dip in revive, Bayer insect killer or similar to kill the bacteria. If the infection comes back just take the coral out to minimize the chance of spreading to other corals.