• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Chalk Bass

Anyone have them before, I was thinking of a small shaol or group in my 120g. I haven't really found much information on them. All help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Had two and loved them; but they jumped out to escape the purple tank when he was added.

Not shore if they shoal. Mine had separate spots and hid a lot even before the tank. They were the sole fish inhabitants in the tank for several months.

pretty sure they are a shoaling fish - but you're going to need more than 2. I have to go dig thru some old issues of Aquarium Fish International - I know I read about them there...be back.

phil519 said:
pretty sure they are a shoaling fish - but you're going to need more than 2. I have to go dig thru some old issues of Aquarium Fish International - I know I read about them there...be back.

They are. Groups of 5+ make a fantastic display. Seen it done and I love it. A very unappreciated fish if you ask me.

JRWOHLER said:
Yes, they are supposed to be a great little fish. It is certainly one on my list.

Eventually when I get a huge tank, I'd love to have a large shoal of them. Gorgeous little fish.

This is what I was thinking of stocking the 120g With whenever I have the chance.

5-Chalk Bass

2-Ocellaris Clownfish w/ Anemone (Already Have in 55)

1-Leopard Wrasse (Already Have in 55)

1-Starry Blenny (Already Have in 55)

1-Yellow Tang

1-Potter's Angel

2-Yashia Shrimp Gobies (Pair) w/Pistol Shrimp

1-Magnificent Foxface

SteveReef said:
This is what I was thinking of stocking the 120g With whenever I have the chance.

5-Chalk Bass

2-Ocellaris Clownfish w/ Anemone (Already Have in 55)

1-Leopard Wrasse (Already Have in 55)

1-Starry Blenny (Already Have in 55)

1-Yellow Tang

1-Potter's Angel

2-Yashia Shrimp Gobies (Pair) w/Pistol Shrimp

1-Magnificent Foxface

Skip the yellow tang and get a purple! :)

I'm not sure, it seems to me that the Yellow Tang/Clownfish are the symbolic saltwater fish. Why do you suggest the purple, is it just because of preference or is there some real reason? Are their temeperments different? I might consider adding a purple.

SteveReef said:
I'm not sure, it seems to me that the Yellow Tang/Clownfish are the symbolic saltwater fish. Why do you suggest the purple, is it just because of preference or is there some real reason? Are their temeperments different? I might consider adding a purple.

I just like them more. They are a bit more aggressive, but my God -- some of the most beautiful fish on earth, if you ask me!

I would suggest to you to go for the Yellow Tang...they are from Hawaii and in a way you'd be buying "made in the usa". LOL.

I believe the purples are slightly more expensive - probably due to the fact that they are typically taken from the Red Sea.

Either will fit fine in a 120 - but purples are known to be a bit more nasty.