• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

cheapest LFS in area to get liverock?

i posted in the wanted section also but that was more directed towards if any members had some personal stock they wanted to get rid of. If i cant find any hobbyist, wheres the cheapest LFS to go to in the area(north nj)? Petcos website lists it at 8lbs for $35.99(equals 4.50 a pound). does anyone know the prices at sharkaquarium in union, or absoluty fish? both are close by. or anywhere else nearby? thanks

Prices at abs fish are 7.99/lb, but I think they have nano rock for 5.99. I think... Reef Encounters has it for 7.99 and 9.99 I think.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Be careful what you ask for. I bought 20lbs at a LFS near my work and it turned they didn't cure the rock, even though I asked them. I had a very bad red slime out break and lost fish. I complained and the manager stated the staff was fired for not curing and fibbing to customers. I paied $3 a pound a few years back. But with the lose of fish and red slime remover I paid more. Not to mention the headache. Needless to say they are no longer on business.

Second ogii for lr their holding tubs are huge and their pieces equally big.

Absolute is 9.99 a pound when I bought mine :( 3 months ago.

About 5-6 years ago their was a member in central NJ that had a set up in his basement,
Live stock and Supplies. Had a dozen box's of Walt Smith Premium LR, Sold me a box for like 3 a LB. Only thing that I remember, Rely Nice House$$$, any one remember who that was. Nice Guy and a good Deal.
Greg
Trop in Ocean has fully cured LR at $6.99 lb, Dry rubble and hand sized pieces off to the side that you can cherry pick for $3.00 lb, just take time to cycle that stuff.
Also be careful what you buy, I ordered from Florida that was giant Bowling balls, local place down here is selling Dry Mined rock putting it in water and calling it LV, and if you can inspect the rock first in water, check for baddies, Antipasti, Hair Alga.

Whitebird1 said:
About 5-6 years ago their was a member in central NJ that had a set up in his basement,
Live stock and Supplies. Had a dozen box's of Walt Smith Premium LR, Sold me a box for like 3 a LB. Only thing that I remember, Rely Nice House$$$, any one remember who that was. Nice Guy and a good Deal.
Greg

I think his name is Bernie @ Sea Trade Marine http://www.seatrademarine.com/

Dirk

bkov said:
thanks. what about ordering online? or does shipping costs kill most deals?
you can pick up from Sea Trade Marine. He is located someplace by cherry Hill NJ. ( NO SHIPPING)
Dirk

DR.JIM on here is selling live rock also check manhattanreefs.com for sale threads and craiglist.u can great deals from people downsizing/shutting down tanks.

I have to much live rock in my nano tank and am looking to get rid of some of it. Which size rock are you looking for? Shot me a pm if you are interested.

Dr Jim's is going to be loaded with good stuff, he is very conciencious. I second looking to see what people are selling who are getting out ... I got mine that way and was excellent.

CMS1 said:
I have to much live rock in my nano tank and am looking to get rid of some of it. Which size rock are you looking for? Shot me a pm if you are interested.
[/quotte]

thanks, i tried sending a PM but it wouldent work for some reason. small is ok since its just a small 10gallon nano.