• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Chiller in cold weather

This was my first summer having a chiller on my tank. Now that the weather is getting colder and the chiller is no longer needed, what do I need to do? Do I just unplug it? Do I need to empty the water out of it?

Mike

I dont know how you have your chiller plumbed but if it is in the main return loop with no bypass then all you need to do is unplug it. If you have it on its own pump circuit or if you can bypass the chiller then yes. Unplug it and drain it. Being that it is in your garage it will still get chilly in there and if the water is just sitting in it then it will freeze.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I always keep mine hooked up. If it dosen't get hot in the tank, the chiller won't turn on.
It only takes one time for your tank to reach in the 90's and you loose everything. My heater in the tank got stuck on once and everything bleached.