• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

chiller question

i just received an idea of buildin my own chiller using a fan and peltzer off a coleman mini fridge...anyone have another plan on making a chiller or did anyone build a probe for their own tank..let me know

nanoguy said:
i just received an idea of buildin my own chiller using a fan and peltzer off a coleman mini fridge...anyone have another plan on making a chiller or did anyone build a probe for their own tank..let me know

Since I've done it I can help you. It's really not hard at all to do. Once you take the peltzer/fan combo off the coleman it's pretty easy to see the size you have to work with and you can figure out how you want to use it on your tank.

My kids just started setting up a 24g nano tank yesterday (sand,rock,water). I haven't checked the temps on it yet. If they are on the high side I'm going to do exactly this for them. If I do it I'll snap some pics of how I did it.

What kind of tank do you have and what's the high temps you are seeing?

I wouldn't bother with the dorm size frig units as in the link. They don't work very well. If you'll looking for more then a peltzer/fan type unit then a dehumidifier is a much better choice. I've tried and used all these solutions so I know first hand. A 40/60 Qt dehumidifier will generally work as well as a 1/6 hp chiller. They are also much easier to convert to a chiller. In a nutshell the best way is to remove the copper/tin tubing and replace with a titanium coil. Recharge unit and put titanium tubing in sump and you're done. Sometimes depending on the dehumidifier you can adjust the temps with the dial after some trial and error. Other times you may require an external temp controller.

Carlo

PS Jazzsam, the coleman uses a pelzer/fan combo for cooling. It's not a real "fridge". It uses the same technology as the ice-probe does. If memory serves me correctly it's about 2x as powerful as the ice-probe. I know the peltzer/fan combo on the cooler itself can keep the inside of the cooler about 40 F lower then ambient air.