• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Chloroquine Phosphate

Guys, I’ve been doing a lot of research lately on my QT procedure and I’m leaning towards using Chloroquine Phosphate for treatment. For a greater chance of success, it is critical to use the purest CP that I can get, however it seems like the only way to obtain that is through a vet’s prescription. Having said that, has anyone in NJ ever had a vet prescribe them CP? I’ve seen a lot of hobbyists have trouble finding vets who’ll prescribe for a fish.

I have, how ever the vet is a family member. CP has a purpose but it also has a lot of limitations, do a lot of research before you use it. Most vets do not understand its purpose in the marine setting unless they have a back ground in treating marine biology.

Chloroquine is used to prevent malaria, so I guess it kills parasites?

It treats “Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), Marine Velvet Disease (Amyloodinium), Brooklynella hostilis & Uronema marinum”

Here’s a long but very informative read:

Chloroquine phosphate

Due to the difficulty in getting them, I just decided to stay with copper and got the Hanna Copper checker. At least with the copper checker, there’s a better chance of dosing the copper accurately than using the colorimetric tests.