• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clam placement....

Ok I am taking the clam plunge once again after two previous failures. I figure I will up my chances as I got one from the awesome folks at ACC that is about 4" long. I have a 180 gallon with 2 mp40s and hydra52s.

Just want some feedback to try and get this puppy to live.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

falconut

NJRC Member
Without knowing or seeing the tank layout or type of clam, I can only give some general information. If it is a crocea or maxima it would probably do best up higher on the rockwork in a brighter area. If its a squamosa or derasa, it should do fine on the sand in the lower light areas.

Sorry your right I left out tank dimensions: 6x2x2, I was thinking of putting it slightly higher on the rock work but was not sure about that.

I know from the emails that ACC had Maxima Clams for sale...assuming that I would place it on a slightly elevated rock placement. Maximas will attach to rock. I have had luck with the one we have placing it on sand bed, however that is not optimal as they grow the opening in the shell increases and they become susceptible to attack(parasites etc.). Mine has attached to a piece of Tonga branch and a large turbo shell even on the sand. If it is attached to something do not try to remove it as you can hurt the clam. Next the size is good. Over three inches they are hardier. Finally I think they gave you free phytoplankton right? I would definitely spot feed them. Makes a huge difference. Also ESV makes a freeze dried phytoplankton that I have used for years and it is a great product as it is mess free. You want to feed them at least until they become well established. My derasa is about a foot long and my maxima is around 6 inches(younger but slower growing). Champion Lighting also had little clam hammocks that might be nice to have if you don't have a properly shaped rock or you want to put the clam directly on the sand. Hope all this helps, I have had good luck, knock on wood, so with a little extra attention they should do well.