• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clam

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I got a nice deal on a 4 inch Crocea clam this past weekend. My question is do they move?
It was against a rock and now its close to the front glass. I want to move it but worried about damaging the foot.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
They do have a foot and can move. It will move to better light or flow. I wouldn’t touch it. If it’s happy I would leave it alone. The front of the glass might have a higher par with the light reflecting off the glass.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
They do have a foot and can move. It will move to better light or flow. I wouldn’t touch it. If it’s happy I would leave it alone. The front of the glass might have a higher par with the light reflecting off the glass.
Thanks. Now I cannot get my algae magnet in there to clean that part of the glass. Maybe I can try by hand with a razor.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I just picked up a clam @ RAP and I looked this morning
To see if it moved. To my surprise I couldn’t find it.
Then I looked at my urchin and he pick up the clam.
This is not good. I was able to dislodge the clam and put it back on the sand. I like the urchin but if it does it again
He is gone.

Attachments

• B3B770DF-1361-4D0F-A2CE-1D71C249DC2B.jpeg
    B3B770DF-1361-4D0F-A2CE-1D71C249DC2B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
This is not good. I was able to dislodge the clam and put it back on the sand. I like the urchin but if it does it again
He is gone.
How big is the clam?

He is gone.

That’s why I haven’t added a urchin. They just pick everything on their way

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You should get a clam cradle - clams have a foot that they use to attach themselves to a substrate. If you move them, it rips the foot and the clam dies. If you put them in a cradle, they attach to the cradle and you can move them.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
You should get a clam cradle - clams have a foot that they use to attach themselves to a substrate. If you move them, it rips the foot and the clam dies. If you put them in a cradle, they attach to the cradle and you can move them.
Thanks

Salted

NJRC Member
He is gone.
Hey Amado, I love my urchin. If you get rid of yours lmk.