• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clams T5's?

Is anyone keeping clams under T5? I've been researching about keeping clams under T5 lighting but have not found much information. If anyone here has them under t5 please post your experience.

Things I want to know:

Does the coloration fade?
How long you had it for?
Growth?
Health? ( I've read that clams could take up to 3 months to actually start showing signs of health problems).
Finally some pics.

Thanks in advance....

I have a 90 with 6x 54w retro with a Derasa Clam at the bottom now for over a year. Coloration looks about the same it did when I bought it, growth isn't very fast. I don't have a pic of it atm.

I'm keeping 3 clams under T5s. I've had my Derasa and Maxima for about a year, both on the sandbed, both doing fantastic, both growing well (especially the Deresa). My new Crocea has only been in the tank for about 2 weeks, made itself comfy in the rockwork, and is looking just fine.

None of my clams have discolored whatsoever.

HTH. :)

Here are some pictures of mine:

Crocea
Crocea1.jpg

Picture taken from above in November of last year
DerasaMaxima11-17-0702.jpg

Picture taken in February of this year
DeresaMaximaClams2-19-08.jpg

Don't know when I took this one...sometime this year
DendrosSoftiesClam6-23-08.jpg

Last month
Clams9-9-08.jpg

Wendy,

They look good and very healthy. I wanted to make sure before I go out and buy one, can you tell me how big your tank is or the hight, also what t5 combination are you using? any full tank pics? I'm going to check Tale of the tank just in case you have some there.

thanks.

I've got oodles and oodles of pictures in Tale of the tank, and when you go to "Photography", there's a thread of my 1 year anniversary, which has tons of pics as well.

My Deresa and Maxima both started off in my old 75. I was using a TekLight, 6 X 54 Watts T5s for that one. Don't remember how tall the tank was. Now they're in my 180, under 8 X 80 Watts T5s, and I honestly don't know how tall that tank is either, sorry. :-[

MikeNapoli said:
Wendy, what's bulbs are you using and in what order ... your tank looks amazing and i'm stealing your bulbs combos.

Thanks Mike. :) Which bulb combo? For the 75 or the 180?

For the 75 I ran these (front to back)
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Aqua Blue
GE 6,500
URI 75/25
Giesemann Aqua Blue
ATI Blue Plus

For the 180 I'm using (front to back)
Giesemann Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue Spezial
GE 6,500
ATI Aqua Blue Spezial
Giesmann Aqua Blue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

The main thing is depth of tank with T5's & clams, you will run into problems with tanks deeper than 24" with Crocea & Maxima clams.... Wendy's 180 is 24" deep.

I have the current t5 nova extreme 8x54 and I've been able to hold duresa clam pretty low. No ice cap bal. Seems healthy and seems to be frowning just fine.

No, I'm not using IceCap Ballast. For my 180 I have the ready fit Retro Fixture from TekLights. The ballast is included and built in, but they're not by IceCap.

I think clams are a lot more durable then we give them credit for. I had a maxima under PCs for over a year and had considerable growth. Unfortunately, it died from the stress of a crashed tank and a tank swap.

Deresa clams don't have as much as a light requirement as Crocea & Maxima's do. like I said it all depends on how deep the tank is with T5's, having 4, 6 or 8 bulbs will not make a difference, you are still going to get the same penetration regardless of how many bulbs you put, it comes down to wattage and how deep the bulb penetrates, just like with MH bulbs, a 250w will have better par than 150w bulb. Having more bulbs will give you better coverage from front to back not top to bottom.

JerseyWendy said:
MikeNapoli said:
Wendy, what's bulbs are you using and in what order ... your tank looks amazing and i'm stealing your bulbs combos.

Thanks Mike. :) Which bulb combo? For the 75 or the 180?

For the 75 I ran these (front to back)
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Aqua Blue
GE 6,500
URI 75/25
Giesemann Aqua Blue
ATI Blue Plus

For the 180 I'm using (front to back)
Giesemann Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue Spezial
GE 6,500
ATI Aqua Blue Spezial
Giesmann Aqua Blue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Thanks Wendy. I'm not sure. Both looked great. I'm gonna have to try them out.

I have a Crocea under my T5's. I am using a Sunlight Tek 6x54 on my 75 gallon. The clam is perched on a rock ledge about half way up and seems to love it there. Good color and he's as happy as a clam ;D